2 iPhone 5's and 2 iPads running iOS 6 and Wi-Fi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ashenfang, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ashenfang macrumors member

As stated, I have 2 iPhone 5's and 2 iPads all running iOS 6 and connected to wifi using WPA 2 security. ALL of them are having the same issue. The connection is excellent, it never drops (the icon never disappears) but when doing certain things, the connection DRAGS. If I run a speed test on any of the devices they all show excellent ping and high download/upload consistent with what I pay for. But when I go to use the devices, whether it be surfing, downloading, app store ect. Its like being on dial up.

I have tried several things;

Changed WPA passcode
    Changed wireless channel
    Setup a completely different wireless router (2wire) with the same results
    Did a factory reset and re-established settings
    Changed location of router

The router is a new Netgear "N" router model WN3000 (I think)

I am at a loss and would be open to suggestions.

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

The speed of your internet is controlled by your ISP not your wireless N router,
    All N routers handle incoming and outgoing traffic at the same speed,

Call your ISP and see what bandwidth your on and do a speedtest on your wifi network with one of the free speed test programs on the apple store.

3. ashenfang thread starter macrumors member

err. I think you miss-understood my post. I am fully aware that my ISP "gives" me my internet speeds I pay for. However, the issue isn't with my ISP, it is with connecting my iOS 6 devices under a WPA 2 environment. Re-read my issues but this time keep in mind I can make all of these issues go away by running an open system with no encryption. (obviously not what I want)

4. karter16 macrumors member

Yep my wife and I are having the same problem, but we are using an Airport Extreme to handle the wireless network. Same thing - Wi-Fi drags something horrific on iOS devices, but is fine on other devices (macbook air, macbook pro, etc. etc.) I suspect the problem is with iOS 6 it's the only thing I can think of - didn't have any issues of this nature prior to 6.0 / 6.0.1 I am awaiting 6.1 to see if any of these issues are resolved. If not I guess I'll try Apple support.

----------

Good idea - I'll disable encryption etc. and see if that makes a difference...