2 iPhones 1 Computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chumburro2U, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

I just want to update a friends iPhone with the latest firmware, but he is worried about losing (iTunes wiping) his contacts. Can iTunes update his iPhone and not mess with his other apps, music, contacts, etc. Thank you for any info in advance.

2. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Should be fine to update as long as you DON"T SYNC! If he sync's with your computer it will erase everything, but you will get a warning before you do it.

Although it would be wise for him to backup his phone on his iTunes before updating, but then he could update on his computer anyway.

3. WRIGHTRACING macrumors regular

I know it will save contacts and photos. Apps will usually stay if you don't do a restore, but you can usually go back and add them after the fact. Music can be stored in iTunes and replaced as well. I don't think it is removed with an update, unless you do a restore either.

4. Chumburro2U thread starter macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

Thanks for the info. He's away from his computer for 2 weeks and that is why i asked for any info. Thanks again. :)

5. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

One more thing to think about. I updated mine and after I unplugged from iTunes I went to iPod and it said "No Content" even thought it showed my correct storage in iTunes. If you search a little you will see that some people are having this problem when updating to 4.2.1. The simple fix for this was to reconnect to iTunes and hit sync and everything came back to normal.

But if this happens to your friend's iPhone he will not be able to sync and will be without his library until he can return to his computer.

6. SL4VE macrumors 6502

even if it works when he syncs with his computer again, it will restore and update before sync because it will not be able to sync 4.1 with the new 4.2 happened to me as i got a replacement yesterday had to setup than update then restore and sync was long winded for no real reason