2 iPhones - 1 iTunes - 2 PC's

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by puppers, Feb 5, 2013.

1. puppers macrumors member

puppers

My future sister inlaw has an iPhone as well as her daughter, recently divorced.

Issue: Separate iTunes accounts.

Problems: 2 iPhones, 2 PC's (different households) - 1 account.

When her daughter first got an iPhone they thought it was no big deal to let their daughter share the iTunes account. Now the MOM wants to separate the accounts with her keeping the original account. Problem is BOTH have made music and app purchases.

Is it possible to do where they both do not loose the music? Some reason I am thinking iTunes match can come into play?

Have the MOM keep the account.

Have the DAUGHTER create a new account, logout of moms on her iPhone, log in with new account, buy iTunes match, let it sync, log onto PC with new account and let it sync?

The mom would do nothing.

Can it be done?

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

For the music, yes. She won't even need iTunes Match if the music is available on iTunes (on the pc). She can just sync the songs directly if they weren't purchased through iTunes. Purchases through iTunes have DRM.

As for the apps, they'll have to be redownloaded as they are tied to the original account and the daughter won't be able to update them without the original iTunes password.

3. puppers thread starter macrumors member

puppers

Apps are not a big deal. The mom can dl them for her and just change password.

I am assuming if not done already the daughter would have to sync with the pc at her home, but then the purchased will not sync to her phone? Confused.

4. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

If the music was imported or downloaded through Match, they are DRM-free, meaning they will play on any device.

However, older purchases made in iTunes may have DRM, meaning they can only play on authorized devices (tied to the Apple ID that bought them).
    What I would do is delete those purchases and re-download them as Apple has discontinued using DRM on their music (since 2009) and you'd get a new DRM-free version.

If you didn't buy any music from iTunes from 2009 or prior, you have nothing to worry about.

5. puppers thread starter macrumors member

puppers

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek