Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Hey guys, bought a used 3GS to use as a backup/second line and I'd like to sync it with my PC but I am worried. Currently, my PC install of iTunes is setup only with my iPhone 4, but at the same time, I'd still like to update/activate/etc the 3GS. Is it possible to do so without disturbing my settings with the 4 or can an iTunes library only be associated with 1 device (which I remember being the case at least in the past).

Ideally, iTunes would recognize it is a new device and ask me what I want to do/what I want to sync as I don't want everything in my library sync'd to it as is done when I plug in my 4. Please let me know if this is possible and thanks in advance!

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
No problem at all. Nowadays with iCloud you would not even need to connect to the PC.

I do not use iCloud. So by "no problem at all" you mean my iTunes will not erase all the settings it has for my iPhone 4 when I connect my 3GS? I am able to connect them interchangeably and it will recognize both devices uniquely?

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
iTunes will se them as 2 devices and after the first sync the 3GS will be conveyed to your iTunes account and any other personal data that you enable to sync. Be careful on your settings and heat you have enabled to be sync: bookmarks, address book, calendar, email, music, videos, tv shows, podcasts, etc

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Hey guys, bought a used 3GS to use as a backup/second line and I'd like to sync it with my PC but I am worried. Currently, my PC install of iTunes is setup only with my iPhone 4, but at the same time, I'd still like to update/activate/etc the 3GS. Is it possible to do so without disturbing my settings with the 4 or can an iTunes library only be associated with 1 device (which I remember being the case at least in the past).

Ideally, iTunes would recognize it is a new device and ask me what I want to do/what I want to sync as I don't want everything in my library sync'd to it as is done when I plug in my 4. Please let me know if this is possible and thanks in advance!

You wont have any problems... iTunes is disigned to sync multiple devices.. I have 1 iPad, 2 iPhones and 2 iPods. enjoy!

d4m1r

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2011
Bosnia
Thanks for the reply guys....Now, I think the 3GS is running an older version of iOS but I don't actually know since it will only be delivered later in the week. Anyway, when I connect it to itunes, I can do a factory reset and reconfigure it with all my information, correct? As well, if it comes with iOS 3.x or 4.x, can I update it to 5.x through iTunes but somehow prevent it from updating to 6?

Let me know!

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
I think one computer one iPhone is the safest. If you are asking the question, you are probably not tech savy enough to sync 2 iPhones on one computer without comingling data.

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I think one computer one iPhone is the safest. If you are asking the question, you are probably not tech savy enough to sync 2 iPhones on one computer without comingling data.

It isn't really that difficult, each device is treated separately by itunes and each device has its own sync settings. To say one computer per device is taking it a but far.

I have 3 iphones, 2 ipads and 4 ipods all syncing to the same itunes library on the same computer and have no problems whatsoever with getting things mixed up between them.

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
It isn't really that difficult, each device is treated separately by itunes and each device has its own sync settings. To say one computer per device is taking it a but far.

I have 3 iphones, 2 ipads and 4 ipods all syncing to the same itunes library on the same computer and have no problems whatsoever with getting things mixed up between them.

I'm impressed! Can you share iTunes songs without paying for them again on your 3 iPhones?

I had a FixMyi guy in my house last year when I first got my iPhone 4S & found all her contacts on my phone. He told me not to use my wifes computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.