2 iPhones, 1 Mobile Me account

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orthorex, Jul 8, 2008.

1. orthorex macrumors member

My wife uses an email only account under my .mac subscription. We only have one user set up on our macs and share the calendar and contacts apps.

Will her iPhone get her email pushed? Will she be able to use the push features for contacts and calendars?

Or, do I have to set up another user on our macs for her and get the family pack to convert her email address to a full account?

I know that come Friday we will have the answers, but I would like to set everything up in advance if I need to.

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I would think that setting up the email and PUSH contacts/calendar would actually be different systems. My reasoning for this is you will be able to add multiple .me emall accounts (just as you can now with .mac) but the contacts/calendar should be under a different "section", now being able to sync separate contacts/calendars (i.e. calendar 1 & 3 to your phone and calendar 2 to the wife) might be where you'd have to switch her account, only a couple more days until you have a definitive answer.

3. jplan2008 macrumors regular

No one can give you a definitive answer before it rolls out, but my guesses:

--Your wife will get push email, since the email only accounts give all email services, and push will now be one of those services.
    -- She won't be able to get push contacts/calendar without adding your account info to her iPhone (and then she'd get all your email, too -- it wouldn't be connected to her email account), or, as you say, upgrading to family pack
    -- I don't see why you'd need another user on mac, she should be able to set her account to sync with the same calendar/contacts you have, unless I'm missing something. With the current wired syncing I sync two different iPhones under the same user on my mac, and choose which calendars and groups in contacts to sync to each iPhone. The differences are that now you HAVE to choose the "home" calendar, and the different calendars checked are merged on the iPhones, and that will change with 2.0. I assume to set up the push, you would set it up the same way the first time, but again, (I'm guessing that) it will only be available with a full Mobile Me account.

4. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus