2 iPhones, 2 Apple IDs, 1 iPad... Help!

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Lecca, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Lecca macrumors newbie

Hi All!
    My partner and I have an iPhone 4 each, which we've always operated independently (different computers, different iTunes accounts, different Apple IDs, etc.)

I've now purchased an iPad 2, and am agonising over how to set it up in relation to our accounts - am a bit of a technophobe in a lot of ways and can't get my head around it!

Ideally, we would like the iPad to receive iMessages at its own 'address', so none of the iMessages sent from our phones are synched to it, but people can iMessage us on what would be a shared device - the iPhones are mostly for work.

However, I'm really hoping that we can somehow combine calendars, photos and music from each of our separate iPhones / iClouds to sych with the iPad.

This is my first post, so thanks for bearing with me thus far... would really appreciate any advice on whether this is even possible, and if so, how to go about it!!!

2. James Godfrey, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

James Godfrey macrumors regular

So et me get this straight you have two iTunes accounts:

#1 = User1@xxx.com
    #2 = User2@xxx.com

And you want to have both of your iTunes purchases etc on the iPad as well as both of your iCloud accounts?

Firstly in relation to purchases, this is no problem, you can just sync with iTunes on your computer and put whatever media you would like onto the iPad regardless of which account it is.

However, please remember each single iTunes account can only be set up on each device (computer, ipad, iphone) once every 90 days. So if you register user1@xxx.com to the iPad, you wont be able to change it to user2@xxx.com for 90 days., unless you completely restore the iPad, which would effectively remove all the media. (Please note this is how I think it works), you can however sync media from both of your iTunes accounts so long as all your media is in one iTunes library on the computer.

In regards to iCloud my understanding is that you can only have 1 icloud account on a single device at anyone time, as to add another you wouyld have to delete the iCloud on the device.

Obviously if this is a shared iPad this can create a problem for you.....

Hope this helps.

----------

You could also set-up a brand new apple ID account call this user3@xxx.com and use this solely for the iPad, however, this would mean you would then be running 3 Apple ID's which can become a real headache.

Which in turn would mean you would have an Apple ID for each device.

User1@xxx.com for iPhone #1
    User2@xxx.com for iPhone #2
    User3@xxx.com for iPad (this can be your shared Apple ID/iCloud)