2 iphones, 2 computers...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stupenduzzman, Jun 29, 2010.

1. stupenduzzman macrumors newbie

Here's what's going on. I had my old iPhone 3g synced to my desktop computer. I then bought the new iphone 4g and had it sync with my laptop. I now need my 4g to sync with the desktop so I can get all my contacts off the 3g. Whenever I connect my 4g to the desktop the Devices menu shows the 4g but all it says is "iPhone" in the middle of the screen. How do I get the 4g to sync with the desktop and transfer all my contacts over?

2. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

You are not going to be able to sync your iPhone 4 with your laptop AND your desktop without migrating all your files back and forth between the 2 and constantly updating the 2 computers. Even at that, each time you plug in your iPhone, iTunes will tell you your phone is synched with another PC and you'll have to restore from a back up.

Long story short, pick 1 and stick with it.

3. stupenduzzman thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that, I made the mistake of syncing with my laptop first because that is what I want to sync with in the long run. However I need to somehow sync with my desktop now to get all my stuff on the new phone and then later go back to the laptop. What are the steps to doing this?

Here are the steps I've come up with however I don't know the process by which to get the data from the desktop to the 4g.

3g--->synced with desktop--->transfer data to desktop---->4g sync with desktop--->transfer data from desktop to 4g

4. stupenduzzman thread starter macrumors newbie

I never receive that message about how my 4g is already synced with another computer and I think it is because the 3g is synced with that iTunes library already. It never pops up and when I see my 4g in iTunes under the Devices menu there are no options. Meaning when I right click the only option I have is to eject. In the middle of the iTunes all it says is "iphone" in a large font. I tried reinstalling iTunes on my desktop already but the same thing happens.

5. stupenduzzman thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed it... my computer's date was off which ended up being the problem :)