2 iPhones, 2 MacBooks, 1 App Store Account - Any Problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stcanard, Aug 7, 2010.

1. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

In our house, we have the current situation:

I have a MacBook with an iPhone and an apple store account.

My wife also has a MacBook with an iPhone, and an apple store account.

I have activated home sharing and authorized her computer so she can make use of apps that I have purchased.

So far I find this solution to be suboptimal: When she checks for app updates on iTunes, there are none listed, since it appears to check through her account, not through mine (e.g. she's using Skype 1.0, 2.1 is available, but no updates shows up).

If she downloads an app on her iPhone, it won't sync to her iTunes because it is from the "wrong account" - I assume this is because she updated a shared app on her phone, and it did it through my store account.

So, I want to forgo all this, sign her out of her iTunes Store account, (she hasn't purchased anything on it), and sign that computer into my iTunes Store Account. So we would have this situation:

MacBook 1, iPhone 1, App Store Account 1
    MacBook 2, iPhone 2, App Store Account 1

The idea being that now we have a shared store account, so both sides are up to date.

Are there any problems with this? It is supported / unsupported?

I've tried searching the forums, but can't find a clear answer because each time it appears to devolve into confusion about what is meant by an "account", and seems to end up with an argument about whether you should create separate user accounts on a Mac. I'm hoping to avoid that this time by being very, very, very, explicit on the scenario.

TIA

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You should just have the one account for everything.

I have my computer and my wife has her laptop.

I authorised my account on her laptop so we share all the apps.

Forgot to mention. I also set up her app store on the phone with my account too.

3. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I had a similar situation. I have an iMac, my wife has a Macbook. In the end we just set up both iPhones to sync on my iMac, since I was the one buying/downloading apps and content much more often. I set up my account in the store apps on her iPhone as well. That way, if I download or purchase and download an app, she can just go in on her iPhone and it will confirm that it's already been purchased and can simply be re-downloaded.

4. stcanard thread starter macrumors 65816

stcanard

Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm going to stick with syncing each of our phones onto different computers (otherwise we run into calendar issues), however I've just logged onto my account with her computer, and it seems to be working reasonably well. This will definitely make things easier on us, as it was a real pain to sync (read backup) her iPhone before.