2 iPhones, 2 People, how to sync?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thomamon, Jun 23, 2011.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So I am curious...

My wife just got an iPhone, the Verizon. I have ATT(poor me).

Anyway, right now I have her synced using my iTunes account which is my e-mail address. Is there a way to set it up so it has her e-mail address instead of mine, yet use all the apps and songs I've downloaded?

Also would need it to have her own contacts and such.

Thanks

2. rogeliojeda macrumors regular

I would like to know that too and also how to have two different iTunes libraries, I've been searching for a tutoríal but haven't found anything

3. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Nope. you can set up a seperate itunes account and authorize her iphone to use the apps but updates she will have to put in your password on her iphone so it updates. as for contacts the is alot of ways snyc them with google or create a group in your contacts on your computer and then only sync over certain groups.

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

5. shandyman Suspended

set up the store and all that with your itunes account, then set up her email on it with it syncing contacts to her email account, gmail and mobileme can do this with ease.

6. shandyman Suspended

doubt it since technically sharing your account is against the T&C's for iTunes, it's borderline pirating....

7. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

But when the new iO/S 5 comes out I don't want her photos loading to my phone and mine to hers. However, would still want both backed up to iCloud.

Just feels weird that you can't share your own music with another iPhone in your own house unless she uses my iTunes account.

Too bad you can't register more then one e-mail account to iTunes.

8. macsimo macrumors newbie

Seperate accounts

On a Mac you can create a separate account on your computer. Log out of the primary account. Set up your wife on your computer with her own sign on. Your wife would have to get her own iTunes account. You could not share apps, but you could "authorize" her account to share your music. It would count against the 5 computers allowed. You could share photos, etc. She signs into her account, launchs her own iTunes and syncs her iPhone under her account, loading her own apps, music, photos, etc. You do the same under your sign in. You each would have your own iTunes accounts on one computer, loading indiviudally to the iCloud.

9. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

The burden of using iTunes and why im glad i dont have to deal with it anymore.

10. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I have the exact same situation and here's how I make it work.

My wife and I need to maintain separate contacts but share everything else (apps, music, calendar). As macsimo suggested my wife and I each have our own accounts set up on our home Mac. She syncs her iPhone to iTunes on her account on the Mac for contacts and Safari bookmarks only, which really isn't very often. I then sync her phone to my iTunes account on my Mac account for apps and music--only way I can see to share apps but not a problem for us, especially since I manage the apps for all our devices (she can't be bothered). I have my iPhone set up with MobileMe to sync my calendar, safari bookmarks and contacts with my Mac/iPad while my wife uses the same MobileMe acct to sync our calendars. We do the exact same thing for both of our iPads.

11. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

She'll need to use your Apple ID to be able to share Apps, Music, etc. but she can very much have her own identity on her iPhone. She can have her own e-mail address, her own Contacts, etc by setting them up in the Settings. Yes, she will need to know your password in order to update/buy apps, but this can be totally different than the Apple ID she uses for other stuff such as Facetime and iCloud (when it comes out this fall). She can have her own iCloud account for Contacts, backup, etc but still use your Apple ID for apps and music downloads. She can also have her own @me.com e-mail address once iCloud is available (right now, if you have the beta running).

12. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I have no problem sharing the iTunes idea at all... I just want are other stuff individual...

Where in settings do you set this up?

13. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

As people that have been posting have already said, you can create 2 accounts in your OS and then share the same iTunes library across both user accounts. This will mean that you have 2 separate user accounts with the same library for music, apps, books, etc... content. The iTunes account on your computer will be listed under your e-mail address for both accounts so your wife can install the applications. After installing the applications, she can set up her own iTunes account information in the device for future application purchases by going into Settings --> Store --> Apple ID.

By separating into 2 user accounts on the computer and sharing only iTunes, contacts, calendar, notes, or anything user related will be separated. Music, Apps, Books, or anything purchased under iTunes or even stuff that's in your iTunes library are the exact same for both accounts and you can make changes to the account and it will show up in both user accounts.

14. shandyman Suspended

If you do as I suggested but with ICloud in place of gmail or mobile me then you won't have that problem. You only sign in to the store on her phone with your id, which is seperated to email/contacts/photos.

As stated, you're not really meant to share your apple ID anyway

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Both Apple and WIndows allows you to set up different users on each computer.;)

16. shex macrumors newbie

Everyone always makes this seem so complicated.

My girlfriend and I both have iPhone's, both with our unique Apple IDs. We sync to the same Windows iTunes profile, I just sync one after the other.

If she wants to install any apps I've bought (or the other way around, although I don't want MTV News) she just ticks them in the App tab and they get installed on her phone. The only thing that can't be done is updating the apps, I would need to enter my Apple ID on her phone or vise versa.

All the music is synced no problem, we select whatever playlists we want and they'll have a mixture of songs we've both purchased on separate Apple accounts.

We both have iPads and do this exact same thing too.

17. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

This is the same for Windows OS as well. I told my g/f to do this instead of syncing from the same iTunes library. I have 300GB+ of music, and to upload everything and click and choose through what I want to listen to is a major PITA, and for her as well, as we have different tastes in music.