Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
I have 2 iPhones.

A: iPhone 7 (primary phone)
B: iPhone 6s (secondary/backup phone)

Each has their own SIM card and assigned phone number and own data plan. If I set both phones to use iMessage linked to my iCloud account, can iPhone B be set to only send and receive messages from the phone number attached to iPhone A? I know it works when linked to an iPad or MacBook, but since iPhone B has its own number, I wasn't sure about this scenario. Thanks!

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Not sure, but I also have 2 separate phones, an S8 and ip7. I have 2 apps on my S8 that will notify me when I get a phone call and will forward the text message.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
It is possible as long as you use the same iCloud account & on the secondary iPhone setup the response from only iCloud account as your primary method on iMessage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter K.

HallStevenson

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2012
It is possible as long as you use the same iCloud account & on the secondary iPhone setup the response from only iCloud account as your primary method on iMessage.
According to HELP in iMessages on the macOS side, it should (bold added by me):

You can be reached for messages at

When there are multiple email addresses or phone numbers, select the email addresses and phone numbers to receive sent messages.

Reactions: akash.nu

dmk1974

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks, I got it to work! Just had to also make sure all my other linked iPads and Mac were set to send from that primary phone number as well.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.