2 iphones = 2 times firmware update???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billmister, Aug 12, 2010.

1. billmister macrumors 6502

Can anyone shed light on my question PLEASE.

Ok, so i'm downloading ios 4.0.2 now and it says it will take about 2 hours. Whatever. Here is my question.

When 4.0.1 came out, I downloaded it with my iphone 4. It took about 30 minutes to download. then it updated and all was good.

THEN,

I unplugged it, and grabbed my iphone 3GS (business) and plugged it in. Clicked update. all of the sudden i see the "downloading" playlist thing with a 1 next to it. I said, wtf??? I clicked on it, and surely enought, it's DOWNLOADING 4.0.1 again.

Why did it do this? Shouldn't it already be downloaded and just go on my other phone?

Please help guys.

I thought once you download it, it will be in a folder in your library, and kept there. so when you need to restore or update older phones, it will use that firmware.

Please help.

Thank you

2. celticpride678

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS are two different devices running two different version of iOS 4.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Every generation of iPhone and iPod Touch needs a different version of the firmware. It's like having a 2002 Ford Mustang and a 2011 Mustang. They both need engines (firmware) but there are small differences between the two that prevent them form being exactly the same.

4. billmister thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it

Thank you very much for the answer guys. Greatly appreciated.