2 iPhones at upgrade price on same line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elvineet, Jul 12, 2010.

1. elvineet macrumors member

Unique situation here:

Placed an order with Premier for iPhone 4 Friday before July 4 weekend but it got stuck in the "Attention" stage. So I placed a second order over the weekend which went through fine and I received it last week. The original order shipped out yesterday. Now I've got 2 iPhone 4's at upgrade pricing. I've already activated the first one and my contract end date has been updated to 2012. What do I do? I'd like to be able to keep the second one and have my wife use it; is this possible?

2. hardsc02 macrumors member

AT&T will probably figure it out and bill you full price for the original order, unless your wife's line is eligible for the upgrade pricing. In that case sign a new 2 year contract on her line, activate the phone and call it good.

3. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The wife's line isn't yet eligible for upgrade.

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I would definately like to know how this pans out for you as I might bable to have the same situation.

I upgraded my line with the iP4 with June 15th preorder and have had the phone since activated on June 23rd.

I have been checking about every other day and my line still says I am available for full upgrade and have even gone through the process as if I was going to buy the phone and sure enough it gives me the full upgrade pirce on the iPhone.

My wife wants the white one but her line is not elligible until 4/2011, but if the white one comes out and my line still is full upgrade elligible I am going to order a white one and then try to get it activated on her line.

Please post how this turns out for you!

5. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

AT&T, despite what you might think based on other computer-related activities, will get this one 'right'. The system will detect that you already activated an iPhone 4 on your upgrade-eligible line and you'll soon get an automated notice from the system asking you to call. You will then have the choice to cancel the second order or pay full price. Ask me how I know :cool:

6. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Ok...so lets say that for some reason they "accidently" let me order another iPhone 4 at the full upgrade price, and I want to give that one to my wife.

Could we just go into a AT&T store and ask for a microSIM for her line? Because I know they come preinstalled, and the one that would come with it would be linked to my line. Just wondering.....

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Again, they'll eventually figure it out and want full boat for the second phone.

8. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

bmwhd, I'm assuming you've dealt with this situation. What do you suggest? Just go ahead and activate it and wait for the automated message?

9. x986 macrumors regular

Get a new wife (like mine) who is not as interested in having the latest hi-tech. (If they made rotary cell phones, she'd probably be happy with it.)

10. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

Hmm...Your situation is slightly different it seems. Mine was like this:

On June 15th, I was able to make a reservation via the Apple store app for a launch day pickup in-store using my one upgrade eligible phone number (out of 3 on my family plan). Then, when the Apple store website came back up for pre-orders around the 20th or 21st, I was able to place an order (using the same phone number) for the batch to be delivered starting on July 14th.

We picked up the reserved phone on launch day and activated it on the upgrade eligible line. The eligibility did not immediately reset and the order status on the second phone (via the Apple website) still showed as before.

On or about June 27th, the AT&T wireless site showed that our upgrade calendar had been reset for the phone line we used to activate and order both these phones.

About July 5th, an email alerted me to the fact that the order status on the second phone had changed to 'Attention' and when I called, they said I would have to pay full price.

The difference I see is I never got to a paid and shipped status on the second phone like you seem to have done. If you've already been billed $199 for the second phone, you may in fact be able to activate it on a different line when it arrives though I'd be surprised if they didn't eventually figure it out.

Let us know!

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Back in the 3G days, a lot of people were able to open a new line to buy the phone, and then still be eligible with the same line to buy another.

Your case might be similar, but personally, I would just wait to see AT&T's response prior to doing anything.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I lined up on the 29th at AT&T to purchase two. One for me, one for my sister. They were able to set up my line very quickly, printing out a new contract for me to sign and giving me my phone within about two minutes. My sister's line though took at least 20 minutes to set up. They had to continuously try restarting the order because the system just would not let her get the iPhone at the reduced price even though she was eligible for the upgrade. Finally, the manager did something that gave me the reduced price on the line. Fast forward two weeks, my sisters line is still eligible for an upgrade online. My line says I won't be able to upgrade until June 30th, 2011. No clue what's up, but it's nice to know they didn't renew her contract. Makes it much easier to cancel in the future for whatever reason. TBH - I am intrigued by the idea of upgrading her line and buying a spare phone, the Palm Pre Plus. I know it wouldn't be right though, so I can't do it.

13. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

Are you suggesting I don't activate the phone at all and just hold on to it? When I call 611 the system recognized that it's waiting for me to activate a new device. I'm sure AT&T has some sort of time limit during which they expect a new subsidized phone to be activated.

14. elvineet thread starter macrumors member

Bottom line for me is where I live, AT&T is the only reliable carrier. I would stay with them even if I was out of contract because my other choices are all sub-par. The way I see it, if I can keep the second phone, it's a win-win situation for AT&T and me because I got an early iPhone upgrade and AT&T gets more revenue from the addition of a (highway robbery) $15/200mb plan on a second line.

15. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

AT&T's losing out on a ton of money, actually. They will give you the subsidized price of $299 (32GB), but they still pay Apple retail value, if I'm correct. So they're helping you help them. They give you a cheaper phone, you agree to a two year contract.