Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just a quick question, is it possible to sync 2 iPhones on 1 computer? I have a friend who has an old computer that is on the fritz and she wanted to sync and backup her phone on another computer til she gets a new one. I read iphones can only be synced to one computer at a time but was wondering if you could sync another phone as a temporary solution-especially if you login as another user. Would it be different for Mac and PC?

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think the issue is the iTunes account. As long as you are using the same iTunes account you can sync as many iPhones as you want. In fact, I sync 3 iPhones with my iTunes account.

I'm not sure if you can set up two iTunes accounts on one computer. Once you answer that you'll know how to proceed.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
I would create a new account on your computer so that there's a separate iTunes Library for your friend's phone. You don't want to plug the phone into your account with your Library or your iTunes may overwrite your friend's phone.

Hans Brix

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I would create a new account on your computer so that there's a separate iTunes Library for your friend's phone. You don't want to plug the phone into your account with your Library or your iTunes may overwrite your friend's phone.

This is what I do for our iDevices.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Seperate login for the computer. I haven't looked but I dont know if you can do a second account inside itunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.