2 iPhones synced to 1 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jshelton, Dec 1, 2010.

1. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I am getting a new iMac i3 today! Pumped.

I have my iTunes library set up exactly how I like it; it's beautiful. I have my
    3GS synced to that account. My wife has her iPhone synced to her old PC that is still at her parent's house. She doesn't care about software updates, backing up the phone, or apps. To her, it's just a phone. On the other hand, I need all of MY data and info to be perfectly intact.

Can I allow her to somehow sync on the new computer with her iPhone without causing any problems?

What is the simplest way to have two different iPhones with different songs and apps, synced to one computer.

2. whathesaid macrumors regular

3. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

My wife is the same way.
    I set up itunes on her computer for her phone.
    Once in a while I take my ipod touch and sync all the apps to it then take the touch up to her computer so she has all the apps and songs I have purchased since the last sync.
    Its a pain managing more than one computer but then again it takes less than 30 minutes to manage it now and not have to listen to I have your pictures, songs, videos and apps clooging up my phone.

5. dXTC, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

No, this is not the only way. I have two different nanos, both synced to the same library on my Mac. I differentiate by syncing playlists; one nano gets one set of playlists, and the other gets another set.

iTunes recognizes the different individual devices and remembers which playlists/movies/podcasts etc. are associated with each device independently. An indefinite number of iDevices can thus be synced to the same iTunes library, each drawing from the same shared pool of media and apps.

EDIT: Had to respond to this...
    The same could be accomplished by enabling Home Sharing on both your iTunes installations and transferring media and apps without having to use your iPod touch as a go-between. I use it at home to let my wife get songs from my considerably larger music collection.

6. jshelton thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see; but I don't want her iPhone synced to my library. I want mine synced with my iTunes library, and hers synced to her own iTunes library -- both on the same iMac.

7. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

In that case, whathesaid's recommendation may indeed be your best bet.

8. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

have another solution.

My husband and I use the same computer. I just put him as an account user on the mac and then he goes to his name or should I say I go to his itunes account then sync his, then I will us my account on the mac for mine.