2 iPod Touches - how do I buy upgrade for both?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mercod, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Mercod macrumors newbie

I have two iPod Touches - well one mine, one my brothers - and one iTunes account. My query: I have bought the upgrade for my iPT and everything has installed ok - but I can't buy it for my brother's using the same iTunes account - simply no option to buy it - where the "Buy" button should be there is just a warning saying "Sync your iPod touch and click Check for Upgrades...." Anyway around this without seeting up another account?

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Have you tried updating your brother's iPod with the same version that you already downloaded?

You said they both use the same iTunes account yeah? If your brother uses it on a different machine/user account with a different library try copying the application download script that you purchased from iTunes to the other user account or computer.

You can find it at: username/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications

Copy this to the same location on the other user account/mac that your brother uses.

Then plug in the iPod and try the update procedure to see if it makes you purchase it twice.

I don't believe it should, or that one family should have to pay for this twice.

3. Mercod thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't believe that worked. I was sure I would have to pay twice for it - but £12.99 updated 2 iPods - it feels wrong somehow :D

4. wowipod macrumors regular

I have a pc and my itunes music gets put in this folder D:\iTunes Library do you know where my upgrade would be because I purchased it.

5. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Excellent! I can't see any reason why you should pay twice for this in the same family. Sure, when it comes to different iTunes accounts or sharing with friends you can't do that, but for what you have done I think you will be ok.