2 iPod Touchs lasting 1 year, 1 week then dying

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NYCJake, Jul 21, 2009.

1. NYCJake macrumors newbie

Anyone else having trouble with their iPod Touches lasting more than a year? It's a lot of money to spend for one year's worth of use. Mine got replaced with a refurbished one and my partner's, well, they told him he was out of luck. I know I purchased that for him last July so I need to go into a store and yell at them to give him another. How can they expect people to keep spending that much money for a product that lasts 1 year?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What exact problems are you and your friend having? I wouldn't yell, you are gonna get more flies with honey rather than vinegar.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I know people with the 1st gen still working fine. It really depends how you treat it if you keep it at decent temps and humidity and don't drop it as well as own a case for it, it should last a very long time! but if your throwing it or dropping it or leaving it in your car on a 100 degree day its going to last a lot less.

4. Funplex macrumors regular

My first generation iPod Touch has been working just fine. It gets use for everything except music, so I'm not sure what kind of wear and tear that would put on the device.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

My friend's iPod had a broken home button (she dropped it a fair few times) but it was like 8 months or something so they replaced it.

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Any idea as to why they told him he was out of luck? Maybe the water sensors were tripped and voided the warranty.

7. 11800506 macrumors 65816

My 1G iPod touch, which is over a year and a half old, still works perfect running 3.0. I use it quite a lot and it still works as good as it ever has.

8. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

As others have said, you need to provide some detail if you want any useful answers. I've got a first gen touch which is still perfect (other than the scratched back of course). It's not in a case and does occasionaly get chucked in a bag but by and large it's taken care of. I haven't dropped it outside of the home and I'm VERY careful when out and about not to abuse it.

Basically, if you're getting through iPod's that quick my gut feel is you're not taking care of 'em. These aren't rugged units, it's basically a very large touch sensitive screen and needs to be treated with a bit of care.

9. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

I know someone with a 1g, and it still works fine. It all goes with how you treat it or if yours is just unlucky.

10. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

You have to know that before buying Apple products. The warranties run out and the iPod line gets refreshed every year and yes they expect you to buy a new one when yours stops working after the warranty is up. but pertaining to the original question, i've never had problems with any of my iPods. my 5th generation lasted about 1 1/2 years (i feel in the water with it in my pocket so that's the only reason it died) and my iPod touch is going on 1 1/2 years and still working fine.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Ive never, personally, owned the same iPod for more then a year :p But my dad has my 1G touch, which is a replacement Apple gave me in May 2008, and that's been working flawlessly.