iPod 2 iPods one Computer

jTreu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Is there any way to have 2 seperate libraries so i can auto update both ipods without putting music i want on one on the other?

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The easiest way to do this would be to create a playlist (or a folder full of playlists) for each iPod, and then have each iPod set to only include that playlist or that folder of playlists...either that, or have separate user accounts. With Fast User Switching enabled, it wouldn't be too out-of-the-way to do it that way.

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
tobefirst said:
The easiest way to do this would be to create a playlist (or a folder full of playlists) for each iPod, and then have each iPod set to only include that playlist or that folder of playlists...either that, or have separate user accounts. With Fast User Switching enabled, it wouldn't be too out-of-the-way to do it that way.
I use the poster's idea #1 effectively. I have access to the whole playlist when i am using the mac and my wife and son each have their own folder that is set to autoupdate their ipod whenever it is connected. works great.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
my dad and step mom have the same problem.

they share a windows pc, 1 itunes library. i set it up to where my step moms auto updates, and my dads is manual update. i dont know if this is gonna work once she adds more songs because she doesnt want his songs, and vice versai have no clue what is gonna happen when they try to add songs, but it is fine for now.

how do i set it up with a lets say "dads ipod" playlist to update when that ipod is plugged in, and "stepmom ipod" playlist to update hers?

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
d wade said:
my dad and step mom have the same problem.

they share a windows pc, 1 itunes library. i set it up to where my step moms auto updates, and my dads is manual update. i dont know if this is gonna work once she adds more songs because she doesnt want his songs, and vice versai have no clue what is gonna happen when they try to add songs, but it is fine for now.

how do i set it up with a lets say "dads ipod" playlist to update when that ipod is plugged in, and "stepmom ipod" playlist to update hers?
As the other posts stated, you can set each iPod to autoupdate to different playlists.

Personally, I'd rather your folks use separate user accounts to avoid the hassle.