Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metalingus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Hi there everyone, this is my first post, funnily enough its a new thread :p

Anyway, lets get straight to it, here are the 2 issues im having right now:
1) The most famous one apparently, BATTERY LIFE

I leave my iPhone charging over night, and leave it charging till around 8:30am by which time i would have gotten ready to leave for uni, so i unplug it from the charger it about 8:30am, at about 2-3pm the battery would have gone down more than 50%, leaving about 40% of charge, my use of this phone does not exceed about 30mins of Wireless, and average texting, no music (i have an iPod).

I have been told by my friends to keep returning it and getting it replaced repeatedly until i get one with decent battery life, but i have also read online rumours that Apple are working on this battery life issue with their new firmware updates, so i don't know whether to wait for Apple to release a fix in their new software update, or to keep going back and forth to the retailer for replacement, please do advise...

2) A more customary and far less important issue, SMS RINGTONES

I am able to change the ringtones (for calls) but i am wondering how to do it for SMS tones, all the information i have been able to find online has been for jailbroken iPhones, what about for non-jailbroken ones? any help?

Would much appreciate any advice/suggestion/help i could get...

Thanks!! ;)

mhn1234

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
1) have you upgraded to 3.1.2 - i did and my battery life dramatically improved - i also recalibrated the battery after the upgrade which is letting the phone discharge all the way until its self off and then charging it all the way back up again for about 8 hours without using this - i do this about once a month - more often is not good for the battery

2) its currently not possible to change the sounds for sms msgs except to one of the ones included on the phone

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Hi there everyone, this is my first post, funnily enough its a new thread :p

Anyway, lets get straight to it, here are the 2 issues im having right now:
1) The most famous one apparently, BATTERY LIFE

I leave my iPhone charging over night, and leave it charging till around 8:30am by which time i would have gotten ready to leave for uni, so i unplug it from the charger it about 8:30am, at about 2-3pm the battery would have gone down more than 50%, leaving about 40% of charge, my use of this phone does not exceed about 30mins of Wireless, and average texting, no music (i have an iPod).

I have been told by my friends to keep returning it and getting it replaced repeatedly until i get one with decent battery life, but i have also read online rumours that Apple are working on this battery life issue with their new firmware updates, so i don't know whether to wait for Apple to release a fix in their new software update, or to keep going back and forth to the retailer for replacement, please do advise...

I am able to change the ringtones (for calls) but i am wondering how to do it for SMS tones, all the information i have been able to find online has been for jailbroken iPhones, what about for non-jailbroken ones? any help?

Would much appreciate any advice/suggestion/help i could get...

Thanks!! ;)

If you have decent 3G reception then my advice is turn wi-fi off. My battery life is up between 50 and 100% just by leaving wi-fi off, and I get decent enough data speed from the 3G network. The wi-fi aerial seems to be a real power drain.

metalingus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
1) have you upgraded to 3.1.2 - i did and my battery life dramatically improved - i also recalibrated the battery after the upgrade which is letting the phone discharge all the way until its self off and then charging it all the way back up again for about 8 hours without using this - i do this about once a month - more often is not good for the battery

2) its currently not possible to change the sounds for sms msgs except to one of the ones included on the phone

I upgraded to 3.1.2 as soon as i activated my phone via iTunes, the battery life is still quite poor, as i am used to the good old reliable Nokia batteries that can go days without needing charge...Perhaps ill do this Calibration thing tonight...

The ringtones is rather stupid to be honest, why is it possible to change the call tone but not the SMS?? (im not asking you :D, im just annoyed :mad:)

If you have decent 3G reception then my advice is turn wi-fi off. My battery life is up between 50 and 100% just by leaving wi-fi off, and I get decent enough data speed from the 3G network. The wi-fi aerial seems to be a real power drain.

This may sound rather stupid, but i do not have a contract with Vodafone, this phone is on Pre-Pay, so if i use the 3G then ill have to pay for it, so rather use the wireless :D

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Is there any specific reason you don't want to jailbreak?

There really is no drawback to it...

metalingus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I wanna wait to see if I'll return it to Vodafone for the battery issue, there is no reason for me to jailbreak it besides the SMS tones...

I'm not that knowledgable with what difference it will make, open to opinions ;)

metalingus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Ok while we are discussing this issue, let me throw two more out there (before i forget :D)

1) SMS

How do i make it so that it doesn't show the content of the text when i receive a message? id prefer it saying something like '1 message received' or something like that, like other phones do, rather than 'bob: blah blah blah...'

2) this is more of a suggestion or possible upgrade, KEYBOARD

The Arabic keyboard needs to be improved, there are some basic essential letters that are missing like 'ء' and 'ى' (no the last one is different than 'ي' :p)

metalingus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
mhn, its gonna take a lot less than 8hrs to charge it back up to 100%, so do i just leave it for 8hrs even if it reaches 100%, or did your phone just take longer to reach 100%?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.