2 iTouch's; One was just stolen; how do I stop syncing with the stolen iTouch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by vitordoug, Apr 10, 2009.

1. vitordoug macrumors newbie

I just registered so I am new in using these forums. I need to understand the syncing process between my mac pro 17 and iTouch.

I had 2 iTouch's; one was just stolen a few hours ago. Both iTouch's are set to sync with my Mac Pro 17 info using the Apple Cloud "Push" technology.

If one of my iTouch's is in the hands of a thief, and he is able to access a wireless network with the iTouch that he stole, or connect it to a Mac accessing the Internet, then am I correct in understanding that any new information that I place on my Mac Pro 17 will be pushed up to the cloud and down to the iTouch which was stolen?

I have a second iTouch which I want to continue to update via the "cloud Push" technology so I do not want to turn off "Sync" on my in "Mobile Me" in System Preferences on my Mac Pro 17. SO HOW DO I STOP THE ITOUCH THAT WAS STOLEN FROM GAINING NEW INFORMATION FROM MY MAC IF I WANT TO CONTINUE TO UPDATE THE 2nd ITOUCH THAT IS STILL IN MY POSSESSION?

Thanks!

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

You can't. If it was locked with a passcode, though, your data is safe.

3. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

You can do this with iSync on your Mac. I think Devices->Remove Device should do it.

4. vitordoug thread starter macrumors newbie

Eric, I don't see >Remove Devices...

Eric:
    Are you saying I should open my System Preferences and go to Mobile Me and in that section i should find an option to "remove device"? And is the device I am trying to remove the iTouch that was stolen or are you saying I should remove my Mac Pro 17 as the device?

Thanks, Doug

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Not in System Preferences. iSync is a separate application. It should be in the Applications or Applications->Utilities folder.

6. 127079 Guest

If I was you I would change my mobile me password, this should stop the syncing via the cloud to the stolen iPod touch

just update the password on your not stolen itouch

7. vitordoug thread starter macrumors newbie

Found iSync in App Folder but...

OK, I launched the iSync app and saw that only my Nokia Navigator phone was listed. I deleted it (thanks). But neither one of the two iTouch's were listed but I have the one in my possession and it is syncing with my Mac Pro (it's the address book that I am concerned about). Any idea why my iTouch is syncing even though it is not listed in the Device list in the Sync.app? Is there any where else I might find the two iTouch's listed so that I can delete the one that was stolen?

8. vitordoug thread starter macrumors newbie

Rniana...calrify password on my iTouch

I actually did change my password for my Mobile Me Account as soon as I got home. But I do not see any option to set a password on my iTouch still in my possession. I see where to enter a passcode that is 4 digits but that is not the same thing as the password that you referring to is it? If not, do you know where on the iTouch I would find the 'password' option and is this password intended to allow or not allow syncing via the Cloud?

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Hmm, I thought all the syncing devices would show up in the iSync device list on the controlling Mac, but I could be wrong. Sorry.

10. 127079 Guest

The 4 digit passcode thing is something else, that is when you go to unlock your touch it will ask you for a 4 digit pin number....

To change your mobile me password on your touch do this..

On my iPhone I would go

Settings - Mail contacts and calendars -mobile me - account info

and there is a password field in there, enter in your new mobile me password. Then go back to the home screen, I would usually restart my device after this.

11. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

firstly, start calling it the proper name - things like this i dont normally care but OMG:(

but actually firstly un sync it, as previous posters said. you might also want to contact apple them selves (not in store, but online) and see what they can do. all ipod touch's/iphones have a black switch or whatever its called dont they? well they 'should' be able to do something that way i guess

if not, sorry for no better advice

12. 127079 Guest

Call it whatever you like!!! Itouch touch iPod touch who gives a rats ass

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

What's a Mac Pro 17? Does the OP have a MacBook Pro 17" or a Mac Pro? Anyways, when you plug the iPod into iTunes, you can change the MobileMe password under the Info (I think... try looking thru all the tabs) tab.

15. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

you had an iTouch stolen? HAHAHAHAHAHA, well thats what you get for having what sounds like a chinese rip off.

now if you had a iPOD touch, that would be a different issuue and you would have my condolences

16. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

....SH*T

add a contact called "IM GONNA KILL YOU AND RIP YA BA^^S OFF YOU !@$^@£&@£$%*£$^£%&&@" sync that over mobile me.

or add a contact called "police tracking initiated"

17. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

thats quite a good idea. also i humbly apologise for arguing about iTouch ipod touch - i was not aware of that.

since we can call it whatever we want, my new name for it is anuwoafba which when said allowed is the same as ipod touch/itouch all in one word:p

also was there not supposed to be something where you could remotely wipe the device, or was that only iphone... cant remember

18. 127079 Guest

19. dvdhsu, Apr 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011

dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes. I think that should do.
    There is no password option. By Passcode, we mean the 4 digit passcode. Unless the theif guesses the passcode, there is no way he can get in. Except for restoring it, of course. But then your info should be gone, unless if this guys an expert at doing this. If he is, then he can get in easily, by restoring, and then digging out the info using iPhone Forensics. http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Forensics-Recovering-Evidence-Corporate/dp/0596153589
    Yes. Please let it be.
    That might just work.
    Give that a try too. :D
    No, I don't think that's possible with any device. There is an Apple Killswitch, but that's only for Applications. I could always be wrong though.

To summarize, the best you can do now is to add some scary contacts, and then change your MobileMe password.
    You can also add a "Reward: $100, please call at xxx.xxx.xxxx"
    But you must change your MobileMe password.
    That is the most important.