2 iTunes accounts and 2 devices on 1 Mac sharing apps etc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lorrin, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Lorrin macrumors newbie

As there is no way to merge iTunes account purchases, Can someone advise if the following is possible:

Currently:
    I have 1 PC with iTunes account A connected to my iPhone
    I have 1 Mac with iTunes account B connected to my iPad

Is it possible to move all my iTunes stuff from the PC/account A (Music, apps etc) to my Mac and have all the apps/music available on both devices?

eg. account A and B stuff on my Iphone and account A and B stuff on my iPad.

Thanks

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

If I understand your request, no and yes.

iTunes will look at the app, and check for authorization and find that the iPad or iPhone does not belong to the store username and not allow it. That is what prevents me from sending any old app I buy to a friend.

Yes, you can transfer all the info to a single iTunes but at least when I did that it got very wonky when syncing and I used to get false "you are not authorized to play this' messages all the time.

What you seem to be asking is in essence merging two iTunes accounts and their associated purchases. I have never tried this, so I cannot verify this is not possible as you state.

So, yes you can move it from PC A to the Mac but they will be under different iTunes log ins and will not function interchangably in my experience.

3. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

That's possible. You just need to authorise the separate accounts on each computer. Music no longer has DRM so it's just Apps etc that you have to worry about. You can't merge accounts so you'll always have to update the content using the log in details from the account used to purchase it.

4. Lorrin thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

set up home sharing (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3819) on both machines to transfer content between the libraries.

as has been said, you can authorize iTunes on both computers to play/use content purchased with each other's iTunes store accounts.

each mobile devices can only sync with one iTunes at a time but will be able use the purchased content from both libraries.