2 Jailbreak questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cclloyd, Jan 18, 2012.

1. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

1. Difference between jailbreaking and unlocking. I heard you can jailbreaking without unlocking, but not vice versa.

2. How close is the ETA for the 4S jailbreak? (preferably jailbreakme.com)

2. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

1. Jailbreaking allows unsigned code to run on iOS (Cydia and its features). Unlocking lets you use the phone on another carrier. When you jailbreak, you can install ultrasn0w in Cydia to unlock the phone if you are on the appropriate baseband (modem firmware). You can, however, unlock without jailbreaking by physical means by way of GEVEY SIM.

2. pod2g says a few more [days]. Jailbreakme.com has nothing to do with this.

3. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

1 - Unlocking is for using your iphone on other GSM carriers (ie. Sprint or ATT). JB is more for modifying your phone. (Just Google jailbreaking and you will get a ton of stuff).

2 - No idea...

4. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

So since I use Sprint and have no intention of changing I can just jailbreak? Are most jailbreak tools just jailbreaking and not unlocking?

And by the jailbreakme, I mainly meant some automated easy way to jailbreak without my computer.

5. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

No reason to unlock if you are staying with Sprint.

You will know when the JB comes out for the 4s as soon as it's out and you check this site. You can find instructions here: http://www.iclarified.com/

6. cclloyd thread starter macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I still want to jailbreak to run other apps that weren't on the app store, like a GBA emulator for one.

7. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Nobody knows until it's released

8. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Sry, I meant to say no reason to unlock.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah you got plenty of reason to JB even if you are no unlocking.

Jailbreakme tool, required a very specific type of exploit (userland Exploits), which are usually hard to find, so those type of tools are a rare thing, in most cases the tool will require a computer to run.

There is not official ETA on the 4S Jailbreak but it is close, they are just testing it right now to avoid mayor bugs that could harm or slow down your system.

You can read this to help you understand better all the terms.

Jailbreak FAQ and commonly use Terminology + Guides

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Jailbreak tools are for jailbreaking. Unlocking tools are for unlocking. They are two different thing. You will need to jailbreak first in order to unlock. 90% of the jailbreak tools weren't jailbreakme. Don't be lazy and learn.