2 Kernel panic in a day+startup issues. Need help fast.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mobius 1, May 16, 2011.

1. Mobius 1 macrumors 6502

Hey bros.

In skool 2 day. When opening angry birds. I switched to Finder and opened a new window. The computer displays a white finder window followed by a Kernel panic.

I reset the SMC and PRAM afterwards.

The problem persists.

2nd time too.

At night. iTweaX and Disk Utility FAILED to repair my disk.

I used the Mac OS X 10.5.6 that was originally shipped with my computer.

I can't detect my Internal HDD.

Then the I shut it down, only to find it failing to read my HDD. And i boot trough the DVD because my HDD id not working.

2nd time i use the select volume (option) and miraculously booted my internal HDD.

The problem is that there's a loading bar below the spinning disk logo on the sliver screen. And it takes VERY LONG to fill up before my HDD spins up.

I suspect it's my HDD failure and such.

Does anybody have a solution for this? What more things that I should monitor until i get a new drive?

By the way

I run Mac OS X 10.6.7 SL. MB 5.1 base. 2.0GHz Penryn. 160GB Apple 5400RPM Fujitsu HDD. 4GB Apogee (taiwan brand) 1333MHz RAM (test driving this, i originally had a 8GB corsair 1067MHz).

Any and every help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I'd suspect bad RAM. Go find memtest for OSX and see if your RAM is faulty. Otherwise could try to run the Apple Hardware Test that comes on your installation media.

3. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

my computer didn't do nothing when i pressed "D" on startup.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You need to use the original disc that came with your computer to enter diagnostics mode. I don't remember if the hardware test is on the first or second DVD though.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Nothing he posted would suggest faulty RAM, and all would point directly to a dying hard drive.

OP, I'd replace that hard drive. Hopefully you have a backup, but if not, get a copy of either DiskWarrior or Data Rescue III, and hope one of them can get your data.

jW

6. Mobius 1 thread starter macrumors 6502

how much US$ is DiskWarrior?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal