2 Known Issues with the 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colbertnation, Oct 29, 2011.

1. colbertnation macrumors regular

Looking on MR, I found similar threads mentioning issues with Usage statistics on the 4S, and Battery issues. But I thought I'd compile the two very well known issues that affect the minority of the 4S owners: Usage and Battery

I got the 4S very recently, and I've realized that I don't have the battery issue, but I do have the Usage issue.

My 2 day old AT&T 4S went from 0MB downloaded/uploaded on the first hour, to 540MB downloaded and 85MB uploaded on the 3rd day. Thankfully, I have the unlimited data plan, so I'm not really worried. But what worries me is that when I dialed the *3282# to get my usage info from AT&T, it only said I had used 98MB on my new iPhone. (Right before I got the 4S I had dialed that on my previous iPhone to see the usage, and then I just dialed it now, to calculate the difference). So the question remains, did my 4S use 400MB, or was that some phantom data?

Now, before you all say anything, I realize that AT&T's system is slow and takes time to update usage statistics. But, my question is this: even if the system takes 2 full days to slowly update your usage statistics, did my 4S then, really use 400MB in just 2 days? I haven't done anything out of the ordinary from my previous iPhone, apart from playing with Siri a bit.

In my previous iPhone, I managed about 80 to 100MB a day max. So this 250MB or so per day is really pushing it over the top. I can't see Siri using 250MB of data for the <50 times I have pulled up Siri.

So I'm not sure if the Usage Stats issue is a software glitch, or if the 4S really is a data hungry iPhone, but going from the small but persistent number of people verbalizing about Battery and Usage issues, I'd say it's definitely real and persistent.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

There's a glitch that is somehow triggered in iOS5 that ends up recording your WiFi usage as Cellular usage. I know this because after a week I had supposedly used 6.5GB download 2.5GB upload on my iPad 2. Aside from the fact that is absurd, my carrier also confirmed I had only used about 1 GB.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

...or Big Brother is tracking your every move, word, input and thought...

Then uploading all that data, but bypassing AT&T charges...

So "they" can eventually clone you. [​IMG]

4. MagnusF macrumors regular

iCloud?

5. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't think that's the issue. It could be, but I doubt it.
    The reason is that I've been using iCloud on my previous iPhone since the day it became public, and my data usage on that previous iPhone wasn't over the roof or anything like the 4S has been. I don't use iCloud backup since I like syncing with iTunes, and I also don't use PhotoStream or Documents/Data. Just Contacts/Calendar/Reminders. So, not sure what massive amount of data is being exchanged between iCloud and my 4S.

6. ijohnbro macrumors regular

Phone getting warm? Hear Echo while on calls? Clicking noises? If so you could be tracked my friend big Brotha. They track me and listen to me I think. Why? because I love Jesus.

7. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, hopefully there's a 5.0.1 update or something that can fix any of these problems. These issues aren't really affecting me, but I can definitely say that they exist as my friend has the "Usage issue" that you described.

8. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I got the clicking noises on calls. Also, when I was driving, listening to music on the radio my phone picked up the police frequency while still playing the music. Pretty crazy

9. xfmym macrumors newbie

It could be Siri, which sends all your voice inputs to apple servers to be deciphered.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This is a very interesting thread. Perhaps too much is being read into it.

11. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Not sure if you ignored or didn't see my post, but I am pretty sure it is just a glitch that records your WiFi usage.

12. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

While I have found the final version of 5.0 to be much faster and overall much better, there are still quite a few small glitches like the ones mentioned. I think 5.0.1 or 5.1 or whatever will make this a damn near perfect OS