2 Laptops/1 Monitor Chained?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by damoxieman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. damoxieman macrumors newbie

I have a Dell laptop and an external Dell monitor with VGA and DVI-D inputs from work and my new 13" MBP (purchased late Dec '13). Is it possible to daisy chain them together to use all 3 together, or can they only be used as a single laptop with an external monitor and I need to switch the monitor between the laptops? If you need details, the Dell is a Latitude E5520 running Windows 7 Pro w/ SP1. Any help would be MUCH appreciated to a newbie on the forums!!! THANKS!!

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Are you asking could you display what is on the Dell, on the Mac if the mac was hooked to the monitor (and vice versa)?

The answer is No. Laptops only have video out capabilities, not in.

Best you can do is use the built in display of one laptop and the monitor and switch the inputs on the monitor depending on which laptop you want to use at the time. I've done this in the past.

3. damoxieman thread starter macrumors newbie

This makes sense... Yes, I was hoping that I could all 3 displays in conjunction with each other and move windows/apps from one screen to the other two, but what you have said makes total sense. I'm assuming to have 3 displays I would need to have 2 external monitors and just 1 laptop. Not sure how persuasive I can be with work to get another monitor, but what the hell, worth a shot! THANK YOU for the help!!!