2 libraries in finder?? which is for what? !confused!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Dec 15, 2007.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i found out that there are 2 libraries in finder, Macintosh HD>Library, and thats the one with the books on the folder, i also saw, Macintosh HD>System>Library, now this library doesnt have books on it, and the folder is all different, can some one explain the difference between the two???:confused::confused:

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The system library (Macintosh HD > Library) contains system files and preferences for OS X. The user library (Macintosh HD > Users > "User_Name" > Library) contains files and preferences that are specific for that user.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

no, the library in Macintosh HD>system>library, not Macintosh HD > Users > "User_Name" > Library

4. unity macrumors 6502a

Yes, there are THREE, well more if you have more users....

Mac HD/Library = This is where global additions go. For example if you install screen savers "for all users". Applications can install here to so all users can access the support files, such as Garageband.

Mac HD/System/Library/ = This is, sorta, the "main" library for the system. Apps should not install stuff here. Really this folder does not have much, if anything, that any user interacts with that they can change, like system preferences. Its more of a "services" library that the system owns.

Mac HD/Users/XX/Library = This is items specific to the actual user such as the items in the dock, mail and Safari settings, etc...

When you log-in, all three are sort of merged together to provide one library folder for the system. Or two of them... I forget...

Now, as basic as I have TRIED to make this in leman terms, some one will surly try to say how flawed I am..... :) lol

5. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

:D:D:Dthanx, that helped a lot, ive been using a mac for a lil over a year now, but still discovering new things;):)

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Oh, c'mon, we're not surly, maybe a little cranky at times, even snarky, but surely never surly! ;)

And don't call me Shirley. :p

7. unity macrumors 6502a

LOL....

Thats one of my favorite movie quotes! "And don't call me Shirley." LOL

8. texfire macrumors member

So, if I had a disc with some fonts on them, which library's font folder should I place them in?

Chris

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Do you want them to be usable by all users or only you?

All users, /Library/Fonts/.

Just you, ~/Library/Fonts/.

No one should be fiddling in the /System directory unless they know what they are doing and willing to pay the price for screw-ups. :)

10. unity macrumors 6502a

What he said. But I am going to add that (well before Time Machine) I had a tendency to lose fonts since I stuck them in /Library/Fonts.

But when I woudl back up my home directory, I always forgot to go into the main library and get my fonts.

Now, so they are always backed up, I put them in /users/xxxx/library That way they get backed up or copied with my home folder.

For that matter, when you upgrade to a new mac and it asks to transfer your personal data, I think it pretty much just stick to the user folders. Again, the fonts may not come with the transfer.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Also remember, you don't have to drag fonts to a folder to install them (though if you've got a whole cd's worth, it might be easier). Double-clicking font files will open them in Font Book and ask if you want to install them, which also gives you a way of making sure they are compatible and that they look like you expect them to first.

jW

12. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

how about if you want to go to software update in the system directory and unlock it so that you dont have to enter a password everytime there is an update?

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You can't do that.

The password is there for a reason. It's a protection mechanism that helps protect you and your computer from intruders. Asking for a password when an update implies that 1) you are a valid admin user who is allowed to install patches, and 2) that you you now know that something is being installed that requires an admin password.

It's not like you have to input it all that often.

14. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

im standard, im thinking of asking my dad if he can enter the pass to unlock it, can you just goto software update in the system library, then do CMD I, then on the bottom make everyone be able to write? its my comp, im not admin cuz my dad is for parental controls on my account (i have a content filter)

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Doing that may have unintended consequences.

And that will not stop you from having to enter admin passwords to install things. The requirement for an admin password is part of the installer itself, not the permissions on certain folders. It doesn't matter what the permissions are on /System. You will still ahve to put in an admin password.

16. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

so there is absolutely no way? how about if i want to unlock the apps folder so that i can move apps into it that i download with permission, is that possible? it should be

17. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, change the folder ownership you your user, rather than root ("system").

Again, not advisable. But doable, assuming dad inputs his admin password.