2 Libraries

Discussion in 'iPod' started by eyemacg5, Aug 22, 2007.

1. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

I keep my main library on usb disk and I'd like a smaller library on my laptop, can I get itunes to ask me which library to load or get it to load the smaller one if the larger one on usb disk is not present.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hold OPTION as you open iTunes to select your library. If the external isn't plugged in then iTunes will generally default back to the internal drive's library.

3. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

Can I have some tunes in both places? I'd like to have my A-list available anytime and will settle for the rest when at home.

Additionally I'd like to Rip remotely and copy (or move) the new tracks to the main library.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sure you can. They'll just be treated as completely separate libraries. I'm pretty sure that'll use up two 'machines' on your iTunes account, but could be wrong... :)

5. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

Thanks MJ. How do I get the tracks from the Main (external) library to the A-list library?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Create the new library by holding OPTION at startup and then literally drag the song files from wherever you keep them to iTunes. They should be imported from there. :)

7. Bow Rekk macrumors member

Is there a way to make one big (both internal hd and external hd) library when the external hard drive is plugged in and one small one when it is not?

I presume I could do that using aliases but it would take forever to do with my whole cd collection wouldn't it?

Going to uni and don't want to take millions (maybe 50) of cds innit.

Cheers.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's no quick or easy way, really. It's a lot simpler to keep the two separate libraries with some overlap. :)