2 Mac Network help

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Trenton, FL
I am trying to network my 2 macs. One is an Intel Mini running 10.4.7. The other is a G3 iMac running 10.2.8. I have connected them together and turned on file sharing on each computer. I also gave each an ip address in the same range. I can connect to the iMac from my Mini but not the other way around. Do I have to do something else on the iMac to be able to connect. I really don't need to connect to the iMac. I want the iMac to be able to connect to the Mini. Any help is appreciated.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
First of all, what sort of cable did you use to connect them? :p :)

For sharing to work both ways, sharing must be turned on for both computers. Go to System Preferences --> Sharing, make sure it's enabled for both computers, and try it again.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
Trenton, FL
I tried a crossover cable but couldn't get it to work. I think that's probably my fault since I made the cable. I will fix that. But then I used a regular Cat5 cable and was able to connect like I said in the first post. I turned on sharing on both computers before I even tried connecting. I just don't understand why I can connect to the iMac but not to the Mini.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
also make sure that apple talk is both set to ethernet. and most new mac no longer need a crossover cable. but maybe your imac may still need it.