2 MacBook issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DanMarkBen, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DanMarkBen macrumors newbie

I've had my MacBook (2007 White 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo) for nearly 3 years and had next to no problems with it... Until recently. I was wondering if any of you could shed any light on my problems?

1) Video Playback. In the last few weeks my mac has started stuttering video playback fairly often. This is happening with downloaded movies (in itunes), streaming movies (youtube, hulu, etc), and DVDs. Sometimes the stuttering gets so bad that my speakers freak out and the sound gets extremely crackly unless i mute the computer for a few minutes.

2) Crashes. My computer has started crashing a one or two times a week... But in a way I've never seen before. The screen dims a bit, and a grey/black box appears in the center that says something along the lines of "You need to restart your computer, to do this please hold down the power button until your computer shuts down. Press the button again to restart." The message is repeated in a few languages.

Any thoughts? Any help much appreciated!

2. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Back up all your data and rebuild the HD. See if that fixes the problem...

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

This sounds like a hardware failure may be imminent.

Do you still have warranty? Have you backed up your data yet?

What you experience in (2) is a Kernel Panic.
    [​IMG]

Have you tried repairing permissions via Disk Utility or looked at Activity Monitor and selected to SHOW ALL PROCESSES and seen what process might hog up your CPU? Also look at the Disk Activity.

4. DanMarkBen thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have applecare, but I did replace my hard drive about a year ago. Is my warranty still good?

I do have all my data backed up. I'll try your suggestions and see if it helps...

5. Moocher macrumors regular

The hard drive should not affect your warranty. Make sure you get this fixed before your Apple Care expires.

Mooch