2 macbook problems. Was I hacked? And my connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 3v0, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 3v0 macrumors member

Hi, so I have a 2 macbook problems. I'm a total computer noob btw and this is my first mac. I just did a system update 2 days ago and also run norton anti virus on it.

Anyway, my first problem:So I was bored and on the chat website Omegle today and the "stranger" posted a link to my facebook. Was I hacked? I don't want anyone messing w my facebook or important other info. This happen like an 2-3 hour ago, havent noticed anything different, just freaked out.
    Was I hacked or was it something else?
    There is a link you can post to have people open their own facebook but I want to make sure it was only that.

My 2nd problem:
    I keep getting a "server connection interrupted" message and I lose internet. And it asks if I want to "disconnect." It happens a lot, like every 15-30min and last anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute. Then I get it back.

This has been happening a lot the past few weeks but the message hasnt come up until today.
    Could THAT be a sign of a virus/a hack?

how can I fix this problem?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Uninstall Norton and NEVER install an antivirus on your Mac again.

There are zero, let me emphasize, ZERO viruses for MacOS X Leopard and Snow Leopard. NONE! Not one!

All Norton does is waste resources, as a matter of fact your internet problems might be caused by it!

Other than that, I can't imagine what could be causing your internet connection problems.

As for your Facebook, some idiot on Omegle tried to give you their Facebook address, but instead went to their homepage and copied the link and sent it. Basically, the URL says "go to MY Facebook Profile home" no matter who clicks it.

3. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

really, bc like, they wrote:
    I'm looking are ur facebook and sent me the link to mine. So it sounded like they got into it. Is that still the same thing?

also, im totally computer stupid, so is a hack the same as a virus? So basically my only problem is the connection?

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It looks like your connection is the problem. Nothing more I can say. Maybe it's your router, maybe your Mac doesn't like your router or vice-versa. I'unno.

Hacking means gaining access to files and data without consent and/or by forceful means.

A virus is a piece of software that can harm your computer or be used to allow hackers into your computer.

The person on Omegle was probably playing with you. It might have been me, who knows? There are sooooo many trolls on that site.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

It takes me to my Facebook home, NOT my public profile. Is that the same thing that happened, OP?

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

It does me :D

8. 3v0 thread starter macrumors member

yes. my home page where I can edit stuff.

9. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Well, there you go.

*sigh* I just love PWN'ing n00bs on Omegle. Nothing personal, sir.

10. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Then all he did was link you to facebook.com. YOU see your home page because you're logged in. I would see MY home page. No privacy is being breached.