2 macbook pros, One Snow Leopard CD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stark4, Jan 27, 2010.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

I have 2 macbook pros and i want to upgrade to snow leopard. Is there anyway that i can just buy one Upgrade Snow Leopard cd and install it in both macbook pros or do i need to buy 2 identical cds? do they check for serial numbers to install the cd?

Thanks

2. robj macrumors regular

Actually I'm not sure if this is allowed by the license of SL,

If the license allows you, or you don't care about this legal issues, you can do that without any problem, there's no serial key checking.

You can even install SL from scratch with the update DVD, but again, be aware of legal issues.

3. EuroBrit macrumors member

You're not meant to, but it really won't make any difference. They don't check for serial numbers.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Has it always been like this on OSX?

5. moel macrumors 6502

Yes...as long as I can remember.

I always use to laugh my arse off at pc mooks having to type in a serial number as long as your arm to install windows!

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Why is it funny?? It's only a type once serial, the same as tons of software.

7. moel macrumors 6502

Usually because it being windows they would reformat every 6 months and usually start the installation forget to put the key in and come back 2 hours later realising it was still sat on the 'enter serial' page. (Or even better they'd never be able to find the manual with the key on)

The irony of it never failed to amuse me either. In an attempt to stop piracy it's like putting a plaster on a shotgun wound. All MS were ever doing was penalising law abiding citizens.

Oh I also laughed at the horrendously long install times, whereas even with my 75mhz Performa 5200 OS 8.5 only ever took 16 minutes from start to finish...windows was always at least an hour.

8. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Just buy the SL Upgrade Family pack -- you'll feel good about yourself.
    It's $18 more (42.56 vs. 24.99 on the US Amazon store) and you get 5 licenses.

The single license dvd will work, but they really aren't asking much -- it's a very fair price, so pay it.

9. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Ah right, maybe with older versions of windows yeah. I've been on 7 for quite a while and those issues seem to have been resolved. It's not that much of a big deal. As I said, loads of software does it.

Better than bloody USB keys anyway!

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

SL is DRM free(Digital Rights Management). Though technically illegal, you could use the disc on 50 macs and apple would never know.