Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbirdie6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Hey guys,

My employer is providing me with a 34" Samsung widescreen for my work MBP (2017 model). I currently have a 27" iMac on my desk for personal use and the MBP for work. I won't have room for both the iMac and the new 34" monitor.

I was thinking about selling my iMac and getting a 2017 15.4 MBP.

Question is, can I connect both my work and personal MBP to a single monitor and easily switch between either computer for display? Or would I have to manually plug/unplug each time I want to switch?

Thanks in advance!

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
It depends on the monitor. All of my monitors support multiple inputs. For example, HDMI and Display Port. So I just hook up computer A to HDMI and computer B to DP. Then just press the monitor's input source button to switch between the two.

Reactions: jbirdie6 and chabig

jbirdie6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
It depends on the monitor. All of my monitors support multiple inputs. For example, HDMI and Display Port. So I just hook up computer A to HDMI and computer B to DP. Then just press the monitor's input source button to switch between the two.

Ok that's good advice. The monitor in question is this one - https://www.samsung.com/us/business...0-series/890-series-34-curved-lc34h890wjnxza/.

Looks like I've got USB-C, USB, and Display Port. Hopefully there's an input source switch on this model and I'll be all set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.