2 macs - 1 internet connection: solutions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 9, 2011.

1. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

My notebook is about to arrive and I'm trying to learn how to connect two macs to a single internet connection. I'm starting from scratch, really -- I'm learning what a router / switch / ethernet are! :D

Ideally, it would be nice if I could keep my existing cable connection to my Imac and install a wireless connection to my notebook. But I don't know if it is possible and how to do that. I've not found clear advices on such installation, yet. Also, since I'll move in June, I searching for the cheapest solution.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Any wireless router will allow you to do this.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's not entirely true. Some wireless "routers" are actually just access points and don't have ethernet ports.

Most consumer routers have both, though.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You could also use one of your mac's to distribute it's internet connection wirelessly.

System Preferences > Sharing
    Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 20.57.20.png

5. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

get a linksys dual band router (2.4ghz and 5ghz), that way you can use your old wireless devices, new ones and have upto 4 wired devices.

6. INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

For instance, does this one, from Apple, have what I need? There seems to be only one ethernet port.

Attached Files:

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The airport extreme you posted will only create a wireless signal. You would not be able to have your current Mac connected to the internet via ethernet.

8. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

The one ethernet on the Airport Express needs to go to the modem. The Airport Extreme would do what you want but costs more. I would recommend getting a refurb one from the Apple online store if you choose this route. (You can also have a shared Time Machine drive this way).

Otherwise, the Linksys referenced above is a fine solution and more reasonably priced.

9. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011

INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

Could you be more precise? Seems interesting but no techie here!:D

Ok, I will have a look. Thanks!
    (I might come back for the installation, though... :D)

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I just tried it with my iPhone, and it worked. Im not sure the range this gives you.

Say for example if you have an iMac that is setup in a static position you can share the interent connection that it receives. If you navigate to System Preferences > Sharing and set it up as the screen shot, then you should be able to connect wirelessly with your new Mac.

It might just be easier, and more robust for you to purchase a router from your local tech store.

11. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

That seems perfect for me! Ok then: I will wait for my notebook to arrive (should be here by Wednesday) - and I will try to do that: I'll first try to connect my notebook to internet through my imac. If it is not sufficiently stable / quick, then I'll consider a Linksys router (the WRT400N is at $88 on Amazon).

I will post the result (good or bad) for those who might be interested by then.

Thanks a lot!

12. INEEDANOTEBOOK thread starter macrumors member

Just one quick thought: Doesn't allowing wireless connection mean that ANY notebook in the vicinity could have access to my Imac? (provided that they are sufficiently close). Doesn't it imply security issues?

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Screen shot 2011-01-09 at 21.42.19.png

Click Airport Options on the Internet Sharing screen.

14. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

Yeah, this is a good solution for you thinking about it more. I've done this while on trips a number of times to share a link to my phone, iPad, etc... Good luck and good suggestion guys.

15. pyroza macrumors regular

A wireless router would be more useful if in the future you buy more devices.

16. INEEDANOTEBOOK, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011

Excellent. Again: I will update the result next week. Thanks for all the replies!

Edit / Update:

The Airport Option works perfectly. I don't use the macbook pro for heavy internet usage (videos etc.), but I could. Strong & continuous reception signal everywhere in the apartment.

And BTW the transfer of all my data & preferences with Time Machine was a breeze!