2 Macs, 1 iTunes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aprofetto, Jun 17, 2009.

1. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Hey guys,
    I have an iMac and a MBP, my question is simple yet daunting... is it possible to have iTunes from each computer act as the same?

So for instance, I can upload songs, apps, etc. to my iPhone or iPod from either computer?

I appreciate the help!

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong section, I didn't know where else to post.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. aprofetto thread starter macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Great bit of clarification on terminology, not great help with the matter at hand though. Not very 'consultant like'

Couple of questions to the OP, do you plan on the actual media content being on both macs, or do you want one of them to have its iTunes library just refer to the files on one mac and get the files from over the network?

It would be really easy to sync your Users/username/Music/iTunes folders, and if you have the storage available on both macs it would be the best way.

I would suggest using something like rsync, there is probably something a little more 'Mac-like' in terms of it's user interface though. rsync is a command line application, so you may not like to use it. There is another program which I use to sync my linux home directories and that is called Unison (confusing when there is also a news client for the mac) and that should run on OSX too. It's easier than rsync too.

5. iphong macrumors member

iphong

1. Share you music folder on your iMac. Then point your MBP iTunes directory to that shared folder.

The down sides: Your MBP have to be at home to access music on your iMac and slow music transfer (if you have Gigabit ethernet or N' Wireless then this wouldn't be a problem).

2. Or you can use back to my Mac feature if you have MobileMe. Just point your MBP iTunes music directory to your iMac home/Music folder.

With this you can access your Music everywhere as long as both of your computer are connected to the internet.

3. Final solution is to keep 2 music folders in sync. This will double the size of your music collection (really suck for someone have more than 100Gb of music like me), but very convenient accessing it anywhere, anytime.

6. aprofetto thread starter macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Thanks for the help guys.

I like the idea of syncing both iTunes folders all the time, how would I go about doing this?