2 Macs and a PC

Discussion in 'macOS' started by redart, Jun 5, 2007.

1. redart macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have 2 G3 iMacs, both of which are running Panther 10.3.2. They are both connected to a router via ethernet, as is my Windows XP laptop. When I browse my network from one of the Macs, it shows everything in my LAN, namely Local folder (the other iMac), MSHOME folder (the windows laptop), Workgroup folder (the router), and a 'Servers' alias (itself). It even shows my flatmate's Windows 2000 laptop which is connected to the router wirelessly. However, when I browse the network from the other Mac, all it shows is the 'Servers' alias (the router), and the other Mac. There is no Local, MSHOME, or Workgroup folders, or for that matter my flatmates laptop. Both Macs have new installs of the OS, so their configurations should be the same. Can anyone suggest why one has found the network and the other hasn't ?.
    (edit:..p.s. I've read the How to Network with Windows guide but to no avail)

2. redart thread starter macrumors newbie

For the benefit of anyone scratching their heads over this, I can now answer the question myself......you need the BSD Subsystem to be installed for file sharing etc to work. I had neglected to install it on the second Mac, figuring that I didn't need it. I did.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

4. redart thread starter macrumors newbie

Just haven't gotten round to downloading the updates yet. First time Mac user after many years of PCs, so still finding my way. I take it 10.3.9 is the way to go ?

5. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Here is the 10.3.9 Combo Update from Apple.com download page.