2 Macs or Macbook with Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chin0, Dec 1, 2013.

1. chin0 macrumors newbie

Would you rather buy 2 refurbished macs, 1 low end MacBook and 1 iMac 27" or a new MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt display? Which would you choose and why?
    Pricing is about the same.

I'm leaning towards a loaded new retina MacBook Pro and the Thunderbolt display with the latest and greatest, but can't go wrong with having 2 older 2012 macs.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Go with a rMBP and a Thunderbolt Display. Not only will you have a newer and better product, but you'll only have to manage 1 Mac.

3. neilmacd macrumors 6502

Seconded. But I'd hold fire on getting a TBD, they've GOT to update it eventually!?

OP, What's your original reason for needing 2 Macs?

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

We are missing the requirements, like apps to be used, portability, desired lifespan,...etc. Hard to hit a hidden target.

5. chin0 thread starter macrumors newbie

No real reason really, pricing is about the same so thought I'd look into it, but thanks, I think I'm gonna order a new rMBP tomorrow. My 2008 MacBook is getting slow and the battery is on its last legs.

----------

Boot camp or parallels is needed for a software I use for work and I use Adobe Photoshop a lot. Also casual gaming. I plan on keeping the MacBook for at least 5 years.

6. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

I'd been a desktop/laptop guy for just over 10 years until fairly recently, I'm about 18 months into the MBP/ATD setup and will not look back.

The ATD makes for a great 1.5 cable docking solution and it's really nice to reduce the total number of computers in the household. It's also ultra convenient to have ATDs in multiple locations (home/work, family-room/office, etc) and just plug in anywhere with your entire set-up.

It's holy-grailish, and really only recently as workable as it is given Thunderbolt, NAS, and laptops that are powerful enough to replace desktops for all but the most heavy lifting.

>