2 macs -> Same TB device

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rodrigoluizb, Dec 30, 2013.

1. rodrigoluizb macrumors member

Hi

Doing my plans about storage (thanks to who helped me on the other thread), i decide to go with a simple DAS for while: my 3TB seagate Backup Plus and a HD in a FW enclosure. My Backup Plus has a USB3 interface, but i'm thinking to buy the Thunderbolt adapter from seagate. My first question is for anyone who has this adapter: this adapter worth the USD165 (B&H)?

This Thunderbolt adapter has 2 TB ports for daisy chaining. But i thought, i don't know if this is possible, if i can connect two macs on the 2 TB ports, like a iMac on one the port and a macbook on the second port, and, for example, make Time Machine backups of both macs at the same time, on the same drive.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

But which Mac owns the drive? A drive can only be owned by one machine at a time. It is part of one file system....or another.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Nope.

You could install OS X Server ($19.99 in the App Store) on the Mac that the drive is attached to; that would let you back up the 2nd Mac to the external drive on the first Mac.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The two ports are for daisy chaining. You cannot dual port a drive as a DAS to two independent computers.

Running OSX Server of one of the machines is a good solution. It essentially becomes a NAS (among a bunch of other things) for your network.

/Jim

5. rodrigoluizb thread starter macrumors member

After reading some threads here in the forum, i'm seriously thinking to buy the Mac OSX Server from mac app store. Maybe in a few months (more probably years) i'll build a dedicated mac server with a mac mini and some TB raid. Thanks for the help guys.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A Time Capsule or decent NAS would also work.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The key difference is that the drives are then in another file system (not either Mac) owned by the TC or the NAS. Nothing wrong with that approach at all. I like the new TC units.