2 MAJOR 2008 Alu Macbook Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by leematthews87, Aug 16, 2011.

1. leematthews87 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, need advice

Got my macbook when they 1st launch the Aluminium ones which launched in 2008. I look after it like a child but i have 2 major problems. I don't have any applecare

1. Superdrive is not reading any discs. It takes the disc, spins and makes a slight clicking noise. Does not eject when i press it to. After maybe 10 attempts to eject, it chucks out the disc. Doesn't scratch or damage the disc in any way. It doesn't even show up on my desktop that i've inserted a disc.

2. My screen has to be put at a certain angle otherwise it goes completely white until i re-position it again. No idea what it is. Slight movement of the screen and it will fade out. Strangely it doesn't always happen but is happening more and more often this last week.

Any help and advice on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Simple can't afford a new macbook so hope these issues can be fixed.

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Both issues could be easily fixed by Apple. It sounds like your optical drive is either dirty or damaged. As for your screen, it appears that the connector ribbon between the screen and the logic board is loose or damaged.

3. leematthews87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate, what are my options then? A trip to Apple store then? Will they charge me to take a look and diagnose it before caring out any work?

4. Minicube macrumors regular

Here is the US I think they charge $75 (refundable) just to tell you what's wrong. It may take a week or more to get your Mac back if they have order parts.

5. leematthews87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks mate, at least its refundable if i don't get the work done through Apple. My nearest store here in the UK is over 45 mins away so I'm going to make the treck