2 MBPs sitting in front of me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itsamacthing, Jul 2, 2017.

1. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

Got the 2017 MacBook Pro and called support about the play in my finger scanner and without even troubleshooting, they sent me a replacement. Now I have both of them sitting in front of me, and they are basically the same, I am going to keep one, not concerned about the play in the finger scanner.

Looking at them side by side, I sorta feel like the whites are more white on the replacement. So I tried to run the old string from the terminal that would spit out the part number of your LCD and that no longer works, Apple got smart and now it only says Color LCD.

Is there another way to find out the model number of the LCD? I want to know if these machines have different LCDs.

Also, is there anything else I should test between the two before I pick one?

Thanks!

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Without finding out what lcd either has have you run the calibration app on both devices? If you haven’t then try that then decide which looks best

3. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

One is cool tone and one is warm tone... so blueish whites or yellow whites. The cooler tone display looks better. I will check out the calibration app :D thanks

4. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

recommend a cut and past into terminal

5. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

This only reports back COLOR LCD, apple caught on after the whole Image Retention fiasco of 2012/2013 and so you cannot tell if your LCD is Samsung, LG, or whatever else..

I have to say tho, I did get lucky, these are def two different LCDs