2 Monitors - 1 for OSX, 1 for Fusion VM

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kennyap, Feb 28, 2013.

1. kennyap macrumors regular

Hello All:

Setup: 2012 27" iMac with two Windows 7 VM's (vmware Fusion) with a second monitor connected using mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter:

Does anyone know whether it's possible to view one of the Fusion VM's on the second monitor? Or even view both VM's, one on each screen?

I've never used or seen a second monitor attached to an iMac so I have no idea how it will work.

Thanks to any who respond.

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I don't know about VMware, but Parallels has an option to *not* use OS X's built in fullscreen - meaning you can make it full screen on a second display and not have one of them full of "linen".

I imagine VMWare has a similar option.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Open up the VM window. Drag the window to the second monitor. On the upper right corner of the VM window, click the icon that looks like two arrows going in opposite corners. The window should resize to fit the entire second monitor. If you want to open another VM on your iMac screen, just open another VM from the VM manager/library and click the same icon, only this time make sure the VM window is on your iMac screen.

4. gCloud macrumors 6502a

sorry for of topic, i have windows 7 vms runing on imac 27, every time java re is run on the vm it crashes it (the vm is what is crashing). every time. tried pararells 8 and the exact same happens. could you try on your imac and let me know please? this is only happening on the new imac not on othere macs same version of everyting.

by the way, after trying pararells 8 to try to solve the above, found it much better than fusion, much more options, u can slice up video ram as well as ram and cpu, vms run much faster and dont block all the alocated ram from the mac hosts just the ram the use.

5. kennyap thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response.

----------

This is cool. I should have no problem then, thanks for posting this.

6. kennyap thread starter macrumors regular

RAM allocation on Parallels sounds like ESXi memory overcommit feature. I don't see this in Fusion v5. I did hear that Parallels is faster, but not as stable as Fusion. I've had absolutely no problems so far. Java's installed. What version of Fusion were you running?

7. gCloud macrumors 6502a

i have not had any stability issuse at all with pararells except the java re issue i have with fusion too. i have 1 tb fusion drive and the 680 graphics card.
    the vm woul crash when jave is run be it when called by another application (i use asdm) or even when going to control pannel programs and running the java re settings app.

do you have fusion drive or the 680?

vmware fusion 5.0.2

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Fusion is indeed more stable. Parallels is faster but only by a bit. I'm not using my Windows and Linux VMs for gaming or anything graphic/processor intensive. It's mostly IDEs and testing my programs in different environments/configurations. So stability is very important for me.

9. gCloud macrumors 6502a

i only went with pararells a week ago to see if it solved my problem, having used vmware at work for years didnt even consider pararels, i can only talk for version 8 it has been much better than fusion.

10. kennyap thread starter macrumors regular

My internal drive is a Samsung 840 Pro (see my sig below), the VM's are on a Drobo 5D external thunderbolt.

11. gCloud macrumors 6502a

sorry mate, i on an iphone and its 1 am didnt look at your sig. it must be the fusion drive, i dont see how but hey. thanks for trying it out.

12. kennyap thread starter macrumors regular

No problem. If I were in your shoes I'd separate the fusion drive and see if that's the problem. From what I read they're easy enough to re-do, just make sure to keep an external backup to clone back to your system drive.

13. monoskier macrumors regular

Turn off "Accelerate 3D Graphics". It's a known bug.

14. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

You would wanna wait until you install OS X Mavericks before trying that, fullscreen with multiple monitors in lion and mountain lion disables all other screens.

15. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I run mavericks with a 2nd monitor connected to my iMac via a thunderbolt/DVI dongle.

I have my windows 8.1 VM is fusion running fullscreen on my 2nd monitor whilst using the main screen for OS X.

Can even run the VM fullscreen across both monitors and ctrl+left on the main screen to get back to OS X for stuff.

Mav fullscreen is awesome.