2 Monitors - How to put what where?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cabasner, Apr 22, 2007.

1. cabasner macrumors member

All,

Perhaps the most ignorant questions ever, but here goes.

I have a new Mac Pro on order. I have a brand new Eizo 24" ColorEdge monitor that I'm planning to use as my primary monitor for image work (Photoshop CS3, Adobe Lightroom, etc.), and I have an inexpensive Acer Al1916W monitor that I'd like to use as a second monitor on the Mac Pro.

Since I'd like to minimize 'use' of the expensive Eizo monitor, is there a way to make the Acer monitor the monitor where most of the non-graphic 'stuff' is displayed, that is, the Dock, and programs such as Mail, iTunes, etc.? Again, I would like to 'preserve' the Eizo for the 'image portion' of image manipulation, and would like for the tool palettes and the like in Photoshop to reside on the Acer.

Sorry for the 'basicness' of this question, but I've never had a Mac with multiple screen capability before (at least that I have used).

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You can specify which display has the dock and the menu bar. Also, you can drag windows onto either display and they will remember where they are. So, for example, if you drag mail the other display it will open on that display every time.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

easy. open system preferences, to go monitors, arrangement, and just drag the dock where you want it.

4. eldino macrumors member

eldino

bleah.. is it here an emoticon showing up a dude while he vomit? ;-p

5. akadmon macrumors 68010

:-o~#~#~#

6. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You'll also be able to set up where all of your tool palettes in the Adobe products show up and save that as a "Workspace." (Window>Workspace>Save Workspace)

This way, if your palettes ever get messed up, or show up in strange places, you'll be able to wrangle those wayward palettes very simply.