2 monitors plus tv?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TerrapinStation, Jul 9, 2009.

1. TerrapinStation macrumors newbie

Been researching, but its time to ask.
    I have the 7300GT in my MacPro 1.1., running 30 and 23" ACDs.
    I'd like to connect my tv, pref hdmi.

Additional card?
    Switcher?

The machines are physically close, so no need for wireless options.
    Many thanks!

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

You should study the manual of your HDTV for the preferred way to connect. My Samsung LE-46A956 wants VGA 1920x1080 @59,9 Hz. Other TV may preferr HDMI but you make your life very difficult if you do not know what the manufacturer specified.

When you know your requirements you can plan for a second card to have the TV permanently connected. If it is VGA or HDMI and you run the other displays off DVI then you can switch the signal and fit an adaptor on the cable. I know it works with the HD3000 and HD4000 range of ATI. But I would not know if such a function is available from the NVIDIA card. Please check your specs.

I currently use an ATI HD3870Mac&PC with Akasa Neo Vortexx cooler. I would recommend this card as a potential second one due to the modern capabilities for HDTV and the relatively low energy consumption.

3. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

If you run into problems with overscan, ie, cropping of the Mac's image on the TV, download SwitchResX to output in a custom resolution.

4. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

If you're looking to upgrade, you could purchase a 4870, use it as your main card, and then use the 7300GT to run the TV, and a 3rd monitor if you ever decided.

I currently have a 4870 running 2 x 23" monitors, and I have a 2600XT that I left in just in case I decide to add a 3rd monitor and maybe a TV =D

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

If I was not to upgrade, I would definately get another 7300GT and a Dvi-HDMI ofc.

I run a 4890 powering my LCD and my 7300 with HDMI cable to my HDTV.

6. Harry322 macrumors member

I was under the impression that running more than one graphics card isn't ideal for pro apps like Motion or FCP.

Is that true?

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

FCP and Motion will work with two graphics cards installed, but Color won't start if a monitor is connected to the secondary graphics card.

8. TerrapinStation thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks much; awesome.

Gug, very appropriate. The tv is an Aquos and has specific pc hardware (even preset pc configs); highest res 1600x1200 uxga and accepts a host of others via rgb or hdmi.

This is my office/ warehouse theater (secondary to home); purpose is to run archived movies, etc., when the family is here-- sooo much easier than carrying media back and forth.

The 4870's are really affordable <$200 and fulfill more than the current need. Just the way I like it :)

Thanks wpc for the SwitchRes tip, too.

You guys think another cooler is necessary for the 4870 in the MacPro?

Ha, Zappa's "I'm the Slime" just came up from 200g of tunes. Love it!