2 monitors w/1 computer function independently?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AngDaga, Oct 27, 2011.

1. AngDaga macrumors newbie

This may be a stupid question, but looking at the thunderbolt display led me to ponder this...

Is it possible to connect a second monitor to a laptop(or any computer for that matter) and harness the power of that one computer to let two users each use their respective display to perform independent tasks?

I guess there would also need to be a way to connect a second mouse and keyboard too. Is there anything like this possible?

Thanks for your time.

2. AngDaga thread starter macrumors newbie

More details and an example

Maybe I didn't really explain well enough in the last post. Let me give an example. What if I took my MacBook Pro (I'm switching from Windows finally, yay!) and hooked up a second monitor (the TB looks brilliant). It would be cool if my wife could be updating her Facebook on the laptop, and I could simultaneously be using the second screen to edit my photos in Photoshop.

If someone could help, I'd love to find out if thats possible or just a dream. I've searched all over looking for an answer, and this is my last resort. Thanks again for any replies.

3. AngDaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I guess this is stumping everyone else too.

4. mfram macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, the Mac is not designed to do this. You can't do it with the stock system. I Googled a little and didn't find any software that would obviously do what you want but it may exist. You can get a Linux box to do what you want, though. :p

5. AngDaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, well. Thanks for the reply though!

I didn't think so, but I was hoping. It seems to me like that would be something that lots of folks would use. I would like it at least. Anyways, thanks for your answer.