2 monitors w/1 computer function independently?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AngDaga, Oct 27, 2011.

1. AngDaga macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2011
    This may be a stupid question, but looking at the thunderbolt display led me to ponder this...

Is it possible to connect a second monitor to a laptop(or any computer for that matter) and harness the power of that one computer to let two users each use their respective display to perform independent tasks?

I guess there would also need to be a way to connect a second mouse and keyboard too. Is there anything like this possible?

Thanks for your time.
  2. AngDaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2011
    More details and an example

Maybe I didn't really explain well enough in the last post. Let me give an example. What if I took my MacBook Pro (I'm switching from Windows finally, yay!) and hooked up a second monitor (the TB looks brilliant). It would be cool if my wife could be updating her Facebook on the laptop, and I could simultaneously be using the second screen to edit my photos in Photoshop.

If someone could help, I'd love to find out if thats possible or just a dream. I've searched all over looking for an answer, and this is my last resort. Thanks again for any replies.
  3. AngDaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2011
    Wow, I guess this is stumping everyone else too.
  4. mfram macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA USA
    Unfortunately, the Mac is not designed to do this. You can't do it with the stock system. I Googled a little and didn't find any software that would obviously do what you want but it may exist. You can get a Linux box to do what you want, though. :p
  5. AngDaga thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 27, 2011
    Oh, well. Thanks for the reply though!

I didn't think so, but I was hoping. It seems to me like that would be something that lots of folks would use. I would like it at least. Anyways, thanks for your answer.