2 Month old MacBook Pro Late 2011 - AntiGlare upgrade at apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hamzab, Feb 26, 2012.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Basically, I didn't do the AntiGlare upgrade at the Apple Store, but now after seeing it, I really want to get it.

Is there any way I can upgrade the screen of my current MacBook Pro at the Apple Store without selling it on and buying it again etc? Can I just pay Apple to do it? My Glossy one has a lot of light leak on the sides and I've heard that the AntiGlare doesn't really suffer from this, plus, it looks a lot crisper!

Thanks for reading

HamzaB

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No. Just live with your decision...unless you're 30 days within the purchase.

3. Cliff3 macrumors 65832

Cliff3

4. 808? macrumors 6502a

AntiGlare = removing the glass panel from in front of the screen?

5. techfest macrumors member

nope ur stuck for the lifetime of the macbook

6. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

not really, and i will explain below...

provided you have the money to do this at the apple store you maybe able to still trade your macbook pro in at the apple store at the request of a new one with the antiglare that you want. the price will vary though, depending on what model macbook pro you have. Plus you could save a bit more money if you have everything that came with it (i.e: the box, the magsafe charger, etc) in mint condition, if apple do want your macbook in trade of the antiglare one and you are willing to pay for the cost of the upgrade!

i can't really get you the price tag of doing that though as i have never done this sort of thing before, but im just throwing ideas at you.

you could go with the link that some that posted above me mentioned, but you never know the outcome of these third-party repair/upgrade companies. they could charge extortionate amounts of money for a cheaply made repair/upgrade. my cousin once went to one of those phone case stalls that offered repair for £40 in one of these shopping centres near us to get his screen fixed on his iPhone 3GS... truth is, they put on a new screen, but it wasn't put on properly and little cracks were showing on the side.

whether apple will add an antiglare screen to your MBP depends on whether your model is allowed to have antiglare on it. as far as i know, the 15" and 17" models can have it but weirdly enough apple don't do it on the 13" models. which in my opinion is strange to be honest with you.

and i hope you don't mind me asking: what model is your macbook pro? as in screen size?

7. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's a late 2011 15" MBP. i7 2.2/500GB/4GB etc

It came with the normal Glossy screen.

I have everything it came with. It's barely used, not even one battery cycle on it.

But because it's just under 2 months old do you think Apple will still trade it? I dot mind paying the £120 upgrade for the anti glare.

Thanks

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why should Apple trade it? You are way passed the return period. What will they do with your used machine? The best they could do is refurbish it, but they would lose money on that; suppose you paid $ 1400 for it, and now want a trade for a machine that costs $ 1520, they are NOT going to let you have a new Mac for $120. No way. They would have to send your Mac to be refurbished, which would then sell for possibly $1200, less if they find an issue and repairs are needed. You'd have to offer at least $320.

Your best bet is to simply sell the mac on your own and buy a new Mac.

9. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not here to question the ethics or morality behind Apple's decisions. I'm simply asking whether or not it could be done

Thank you.

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Try the $35 Power Support anti-glare film. It is excellent quality; I use it on an iPad and 13" MBP. It does not introduce color-shifts or visible artifacts. Reflections are a thing of the past. Installation is quick and easy. I compared it to my 15" MBP with a matte display and I honestly could not see an appreciable difference.

http://www.powersupportusa.com/accessories/macbook-pro-15/anti-glare-film.html

11. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

It would all be at the discretion of a manager if they were to allow you to do this. I would say most definitely No to any possibility of this happening. The model you have is a special order to get the AG screen installed on, and since very few (if any stores) would carry that model with the AG, the cost difference would be much more than the original cost to upgrade to the AG. Most stores only carry the high-end with the AG and that cost difference is several hundred more than the screen upgrade. I tried to get a return and rebuy of my MBP (wanted to keep the same one) years ago when the back to school started a month after I bought mine and was told no way, as I was outside of the 14 day return window (and this was the first year they did the BTS promotion, so it wasn't as if I was stupid to buy early, just no one knew they were going to offer such a thing and I needed a new computer at the time so it was my loss).

I wish you the best of luck, but would not hold my breath if I were you.

12. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The film is not as good as the real thing, especially with the glass in front of it.

The Apple store isn't going to let you upgrade there, but it's worth a try.

If you want, I have a few spare bezels that are new with factory adhesives on them and high res LCDs here. If you wanted, I could sell you a conversion kit for $150 which is pretty close to our cost, if you don't mind some DIY, and give you a quick walkthrough via PM of what you're in for. Since you do not have to care about saving the old glass as it will no longer be used, you have the luxury of not caring if you break it, which makes this a lot easier. :)

----------

It depends on year too. The 2008 back covers for 15.4" Unibody assemblies do not have the holes to accommodate the nipples on the upper left and upper right corner of the bezel, so you have to hack them off with a knife for the bezel to fit which I imagine Apple isn't too keen on doing. It's possible though.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can't loose anything by asking.

They don't have anti-glare base models in the stores, at least not in the US. If they agree to sell you an upgrade, it will most likely be the shop-AG configuration, which I think comes with the 2.5 GHz CPU, and the corresponding price tag.

The remaining options are:
    - buy an anti-glare film for the display (see Mojo1s post)
    - sell your MBP and buy a new one

You should start putting cycles on your battery btw... if the battery is never used it will get bad.

14. techfest macrumors member

ur explanantion is invalid. his macbook is over 2 months old. well beyond the return exchange polciy

15. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'm going to call the AppleCare helpline tomorrow. I've heard good things about the customer service at Apple and I will be straight with one of the reps on the phone. It's only a month over the 30 day limit and I would prefer if I had the higher resolution.

Let's see if they can make a student's day.

I'll report back. In the mean time, how risky is it performing a DIY upgrade of the screen? Thanks

16. iMacC2D, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  17. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I also wouldn't count on it as the official return window is 14 days and not 30 (although they did extend it during the Christmas season). More than likely they will say, you had over twice the official time period to return and now you want to double even that (so in essence 4 times the official policy window), sorry there is nothing we can do.

18. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Managed to get through to AppleCare who advised me that it is possible sometimes to upgrade the screen.

I was then put through to an Apple Store who advised me to bring in the MacBook.

I'm not too sure what will happen, my appointment is in the next few days. Hopefully they may be able to replace it as it's barely used.

I will keep you guys updated.

Any wise words on what I should say to the Genius on the day?

Thanks

19. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

This was my first thought as well.

20. trikky macrumors regular

Um..."hello, I would like to know if it's possible to pay to for an upgrade to my MPB so it has the anti-glare screen...here's my receipt...as you can see, I bought it just two months ago..." ?

21. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Just wanted to say that’s a nice offer!

Please do, I like hearing “Amazing Tales of Customer Service”

"You know you are a fine looking woman|man who’s looks are only outdone by your dazzling intellect.”

:D

22. /user/me macrumors 6502

Your figures are off. A refurbished MacBook Pro with the same specs that he is referencing sells for 1549 on the Apple site. They're losing far less money than you think. Althtough, that figure doesn't take into account the man hours or part replacement to refurbish a machine, but I would think that compared to the price they're selling it for, the difference is negligible.

23. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

as long as it is the latest, and you are willing pay £120 for the upgrade, then yeah. just go to your nearest apple store and see if you can get it done.

24. nudoru macrumors regular

FWIW, the 2 Apple stores in Charlotte NC carry the highest end 15" in antiglare. That's the 2.5ghz, 750gb @ 7200 rpm, hires AG for over $2,600.

25. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That is pretty standard fare for Apple, it is the base models with the AG that are not normally carried in the stores (although I have heard of a few flagship, high volume stores having a few of the more popular custom order models available within the store, but that is the extreme exception and not the norm.