2 month old touch has speck of dust under screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cifang, May 6, 2010.

1. cifang macrumors newbie

So today I found a speck of dust in the bottom right corner of my 3G 32 gb touch, should I wait till more dust gets in since I have the warranty for another 10 months or what should I do? I'm in Canada so I do t think there are any genius bars... How do I claim the warranty?

2. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

3. cifang thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, would it be a safer bet to exchange it now than later though? The closest store is around an hour away so I would want to be sure.

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

No real reason to wait...you never know when you'll accidentally drop it in the toilet or something ;) It might be worth calling ahead just to make sure that specific store will replace the device for one speck of dust, but you shouldn't really have any problem.

5. cifang thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I just scheduled a call with Apple Support and I'll ask them how much dust would be acceptable for replacement. Although in retrospect I should have just waited until tomorrow to call the actual store... But I'm not sure if all the stores are the same?

6. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The standards should be uniform across all stores, and I believe dust under the glass is always a replaceable issue.

7. cifang thread starter macrumors newbie

Always a replaceable issue? Wifes making me unsure by saying that it's barely noticeable... I think I'm going to ask the Apple person that's going to call tomorrow for advice. Thanks for the help.

8. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Well, if it's minor enough (which it sounds like it might be), chances are they'll just clean it out in the back and give you the same device back. If it gets worse or keeps happening, I'm sure you could get a replacement.

But you shouldn't have to put up with dust in there ;)

9. cifang thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. It's just a bummer everytime I get a new device I lose the game data:(

10. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

Just do a backup in iTunes before you go, and if you get a new device, restore it from the backup :)

11. cifang thread starter macrumors newbie

Last time I tried that it didn't work, although I might of done something wrong. Haha, I'll get on it eventually. I'm off, thanks for the help:D