2 new iMacs, one gurgling HDD

Discussion in 'iMac' started by filmfanatic24, Aug 9, 2011.

1. filmfanatic24 macrumors 6502

My wife and I just bought new iMacs from Amazon (direct from Amazon).

Mine is the 27" model with the 3.1 processer.

Her's is the 21" model.

Mine is very loud all around, the super drive when starting up makes a very loud noise and even with a disc in it sounds very loud compared to hers.

The more concerning thing is that my HDD is doing the much discussed "stomach gurgling". I checked this morning and it is the Segate 1TB drive (not eligible for the recall). Her's is a WDD 500GB and seems MUCH quieter compared to mine. I can still hear hers working but it's not the same gurgling as mine.

I'm going to make a genius appointment but what should I ask them to do? Is there a standard WD 1TB HDD that they will put in iMacs or will it always be a Segate? Is it even worth taking in? It's kind of a hassel to get it all packed up. What is the turnaround time?

Thanks for the help in advance, just a little frustrated.

2. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

You can perform an Apple Hardware Test by holding D when switng on the iMac. This will tell you if there are any hardware faults.

More info here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

It could be you have a lound hard drive. I took my stock 1GB Seagate out to use as time machine, and it's very lound when spinning up. I'm not sure if Apple is willing to replace your hard drive based on the noise or how long it will take.

3. raver001 macrumors newbie

raver001

My 27" New iMac does exactly the same thing. I found it quite strange myself as had an older iMac that didn't do this. I just assumed it was because of the new HDD they use.

Be interested if you find out if this is normal or not as I have no idea at the moment. Keep us posted :)

4. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

my 09 27" does it too, it is the 1tb seagate drive they use. Nothing you can do about it.

5. filmfanatic24 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is what I want to know. If all they are going to do if I take it in for a Genius Appointment is replace it with the same type of HDD I might as well not pack it up and haul it in.

Sigh...