2 New iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samalexhall, Jun 1, 2010.

1. samalexhall macrumors member

samalexhall

Has anybody else thought maybe Apple will release 2 iPhones at the WWDC

1. The N89 thing - an updated 3GS cheaper PAYG targeted phone
    2. The leaked one - upmarket super quick iPhone

like to hear anyones views on this

2. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

To go against the grain. Yes, I think they will do it, they're doing it right now with the 3G and 3GS, so why wouldn't they have the same set up with the newer models?

Only time will tell.

EDIT: Just realised you put PAYG model, whilst here in the UK you can get PAYG on both iPhones, I doubt Apple would solely produce a model just to be PAYG. But I really think they'll still have the current 2 model system.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't see apple going the pay as you go route, that seems to be in a direction that's counter to apple's philosophy. The like to control all aspects and the need to have unlock phones (legally) is something they would like to minimize.

5. CptAwesome macrumors member

Nice ideas, but cant see it happening to be perfectly honest.

6. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

I think its a possibility
    they could then shoe horn a price increase for the 4g/hd/new/(whatever) premium model

the devious bastards :p

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

All these one word responses are brilliant. Way to be classy in trying to up your post count :rolleyes:

8. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

No

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No....way. :)

10. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

While it is very unlikely and would go against Apple's previous release cycle, it is a remote possibility. Relegate the current model 3GS to $49 with a plan, N89 to $149, and the new (high-res) phones to $249 and $349. This would drop the 3G to free with a plan, which would appeal to a wider customer base and get rid of any stock. Hell, even my parents might want one then.

That said, I'll also say no. Odds are one new phone at WWDC.

11. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

12. mrochester macrumors 68000

The iPhone 3G and 3GS are already PAYG devices anyway. Why is another seperate version required for PAYG?

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I will give you an N followed by an O.

Yeah of course they will keep the same 3gs/HD model as they have the 3g/3gs now. But they will not create an entirely new iphone identical to the 3gs, but slightly better to become the "cheap" iphone option.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I'd say it's far more likely they'd just keep the 16 GB 3gs around at $100 like they did last year with the 3g. It wouldn't be very efficient to change their manufacturing to slightly improve the low end model.

15. samalexhall thread starter macrumors member

samalexhall

Thanks for all your replies guys

what i meant by PAYG targeted was that right now a PAYG iPhone 3G costs £349 in the UK but you could get a cheap Android phone for much less.
    I thought maybe apple could release a cheap iPHone, for say £200 on PAYG and free on contract, based on the 3GS but cheaper to make and sell.

But actually... after reading ur posts, it would go against apples philosophy of only making the best possible product :)
    So in short

no

16. samalexhall thread starter macrumors member

samalexhall

fair enough, I'm from the UK though so its all GSM, doesn't make much of a difference...:D
    I'd be surprised if a Verizon iPhone is released simply because I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the next generation of micro-sim etc all works off the same-ish tech:confused:. I'm in the UK so I don't really understand the difference between CDMA and GSM though...

17. tuna macrumors 6502

I'm even starting to wonder whether they will carry the 3GS longer than "while supplies last". Some news we read about on this site suggests that the iPhone 3GS is being cleared out. Of course, they could also simply be trying to keep iPhone sales up as most people know that a new model is near, but wouldn't that cannibalize iPhone 4G sales?

18. chelsea.tone macrumors regular

chelsea.tone

19. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

ditto

20. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

concur

21. Dayv macrumors 6502

I think they're more likely to move back to a single model lineup (not counting color and storage differences) like they had with the original iPhone and the 3G. Selling the 3G as an entry-level alongside the rather more capable 3GS has always seemed like a mistake to me. This mistake is highlighted by the fact that the 3G phone they're selling today will only get a handful of features from the iPhone OS 4.0 which is just around the corner. Apple does themselves and their customers a disservice by offering last year's hardware as if it were new.

22. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

:p

23. themat macrumors member

No chance, from a business point of view it would potentially harm their profits.