2 New MBP For College Kids

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jlrathke, Jun 1, 2012.

1. jlrathke macrumors member

jlrathke

I'm relatively new to the mac scene, having a MBP for about a year and a mac mini as my main machine for 3 months now. My son and step-daughter both are starting college this fall, so we bought them both a 13" MBPs. While they both will be rooming with friends we know, I am still worried about the possibility they may someday "walk off".

What do you suggest for a kids first MBP going away to college? I'm thinking the Find My Mac app I've heard about is a good idea. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry

2. serb macrumors newbie

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Insurance, education & physical security, no software based solution will stop theft and even if you can locate the machine it may not be prudent to tackle the thief unless you are acutely aware of the circumstances.

I would definitely recommend a software solution if for nothing else other than to remotely lock the machine and or wipe it, be mindful that for this to happen the computer must be connected to the internet. I also recommend all important work is duplicated in the cloud this way worst comes to worst you always have a working backup.

Insurance is the big one it will save you all a lot of headache in the event of a theft, as the police realistically have bigger priorities than chasing stolen notebooks

----------

Theft.............

4. ivanpk macrumors regular

Get one of the kensington lock cables they run about 40 bucks if I remember correctly and they can have a combination or a key, they fit right into the slot which I believe is on the right side of the macbook pros, it's on the left on my 2008 macbook. It's an oval. You just wrap the cable around something secure in the room and put the lock in the security slot and it is safe.

While a thief could still cut the cable or rip the computer out the case would be very damaged and I believe a thief, especially in a college dorm, would want to be in and out as quickly as possible - thus leaving the laptop that's locked down.

----------

Oh and download PREY. It's free and tracks your laptop very well.

5. JohnnyChao macrumors member

those locks wreck the body aroud the lock key area.

6. dba415 macrumors 6502

is theft a bad word or something, why feel the need to replace it with an ambiguous "walk off"? In quotation marks as well?

Anyways, there are so many laptops at college, just tell them to never leave it unattended and they'll be fine.

7. ivanpk macrumors regular

Wreck it how? I've used one for over a year and see no damage at all. . .

8. jlrathke thread starter macrumors member

jlrathke

Thanks for the replies...gives me something to think about!

Didn't really think it was ambiguous, obviously you picked up on it.....OK, theft then....

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

You can buy 'em cable locks but you won't be there to make them use it. I've got one in college. New MBP. Honestly, the only thing you and do is keep reminding the kid to be careful. I *emphasize* to mine that should she be careless, it's going to be her butt. (And she knows it).

Ignore the remark. Everyone knows what you meant.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I remember going to college and people warning me about keeping my things locked up all the time.

Then freshman year, it was practically an open door policy all the time (even when I was out). There was probably enough computer stuff on the floor to pay for a couple years of college. I don't think anyone's stuff was stolen.

That said, I also did bring my laptop to classes, so maybe have this your kids bring their computers to class too? Lock the door when they leave it to go out? If they have a roommate, it would nice to be able to trust their roommate (I did!)

Remember if a thief wants something, they will get it. Those Kensington locks are a deterrent, but many can be opened without the key. If it's a combo lock, the thief can cut the cable and then brute force (AKA guess) the combo later.

Anyways good luck to your kids in college :)

11. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

The key is understanding the hardware is the least you can loose, I dont rely on my Mac`s for a living yet they do significantly contribute; i have local backup, wired & wireless and the Cloud on amazon S3`s, my data is worth infinitely more than the sum of all the computers in the house, or the cost of online backup.

I cannot emphasise enough offsite backup, your kids loose their course work towards the end of schooling, the cost of a replacement Mac will be trivial at best...

12. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I highly recommend installing the following apps on the MBPs:

Witness http://www.orbicule.com/witness/index.php Catch a thief in the act! It turns the MBP into a motion-dection camera that captures images of the culprit. An instantaneous alert with images is sent to iPhones. You can configure the iPhone so that Witness is automatically enabled/disabled when leaving/returning to where the Mac is located.

Undercover http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/ The best tracking and recovery software that I know of...

A single license for each app allows you to install the apps on both Macs. Your kids will need to share an Orbicule account.

I also recommend CrashPlan for "cloud" data storage. CrashPlan has the best prices for unlimited data storage plans and no data throttling like Carbonite. CrashPlan automatically backs-up data in the background.

13. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

14. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

That's why you get the quality ones that have a rubber padding where it touches the aluminum surface.

15. JohnnyChao macrumors member

ah ok

16. Gorge macrumors newbie

17. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Maybe get them a backpack or something to take it with them. I didn't live in the dorms but I do remember being able to basically walk in the back door (door was propped open with a mat or rock) and walk around wherever I wanted to go. Going through the back door kept me away from security/desk clerk/electronic door opener/tracker.

Once inside, a bunch of people I knew rarely locked the doors. And if your child does, whose to say their roommate/RA will forget to.

That said, I don't really remember anyone talking about having something stolen. Sure it happened every now and then but it didn't seem like a big issue. I did go to college in a small town and many didn't have cars. Taking it to a local pawn shop would be easy to track down who the their was. UPD doing anything about it was another issue.

18. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

seconded. I have this on both my HP laptop (deactivated because you can only have 3 devices on the free version), my MBP, iPhone, and now my Android phone... Have never had to use it, but it seems like a good system.

19. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Encrypt them to protect personal data (filevault 2) and add a rider to your homeowners insurance for the laptops. Problem solved without hassle.