2 of the same SIM at the same time. Will it work?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by brewno, May 8, 2010.

1. brewno macrumors 6502

I have two SIM cards that were sent to me, for my iPhone - I was planning of using the second to put it on the iPad. Does anyone know if they can work together, at the same time? Meaning, one would be on my iPhone and the second on the iPad. I use FIDO (Canada) carrier.

(Forgive me if someone asked this before, I did my research here and I didn't find any posts)

2. aneftp macrumors 601

IPad uses MicroSim. iPhone uses mini Sim. So iPhone minisim will not work in iPad 3G unless you carefully cut it down. Just google how to cut mini sim to microsim.

Each sim whether it's mini or micro Sim has a different code so you can use different sim at the same time. However if you plan on illegally cloning the SIM and cutting one mini to a micro and plan on leaving the cut down micro in the iPad you cannot register the same identical sims on the network at the same time. Cloning SIMs varying by country. But in the USA I believe it's illegal.

3. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

So, if I understood correctly, the 2 sims I have have different codes? So I can use them in 2 different things? Ok... now this is not considered cloning since it's not the same very same sim... right?

PS: I know about the cutting thing, thats why I thought I could use it, I dont think they'll send me a micro-sim if I asked them to.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

To add.

Yes each sim has it's own code that the network detects. So if you have 2 sims they have two individual codes.

Since you are in Canada, and want to use both sim. One in iPhone and one in iPad you will need to have two seperate data plans so that's going to cost money.

I carry two lines with me all the time. iPhone and a Blackberry and an iPad 3g. I just jailbreak my iPhone and use mywi for data. This kills battery life on the iPhone with mywi but I have my blackberry for phone use if that happens.

5. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

The main reason for using the 2 different SIMs for my account was to use it's own data plan, which is 6Gb for 30$ (that's what i have for my iPhone plan)... and I didn't want to spend 30$ more for the iPad plan. I'll try and see how it works... by the end of may, when it comes to Canada :/ Unless someone tried it in the US and want to post it here, so we can know.

6. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

is there a way to clone sim cards so both can be used at the same time? Is it legal?

7. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

There are methods. but it is illegal, at least in the US.

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

that sucks

9. brewno thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not illegal; it's frowned upon - like masturbating on airplanes.

(lol, i had to).

10. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

11. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Cloning sims is not illegal, but your carrier may not like it if you use both at the same time.

12. navigates macrumors 6502a

Has anyone tried cloning the AT&T sim and using it on the ipad.
    I've seen this with a different carried in the old days and both phones would register and when a call comes in, it rings on phone 1 first and then the next call rings on phone 2. The provider used to call this hugging or something.