2% of users my a**!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wolfwill23, Aug 18, 2008.

1. wolfwill23 macrumors member

As most of you probably have heard, Apple is aware of the call drop issue (especially when switching from 3G to EDGE) and will (attempt to) fix with an upcoming software update (in hopes of avoiding a product recall). Jobs sent a personal email to an angry customer saying that this bug is only affecting 2% of iPhone 3G users. I say bull-honkey! I returned my first iPhone for just this problem. And guess what, my 2nd iPhone HAS THE SAME PROBLEM.

So, how many of you are experience crap cell service with your new iPhone 3G?

ps-For those of you who say 'stop complaining,' put a sock in it! When you buy a cell phone, no matter what cell phone, you EXPECT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE CALLS! Especially a phone from a company where things are supposed to just work.

2. shrtmkr macrumors regular

3. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

4. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

Me too. I have no problems with network and 3g signals my main problem is that my iPhone freezes a lot and my safari crashes all the time

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Remember that 2% is ~60K people...still plenty.

6. diabolic macrumors 68000

No troubles at all here with signal strength or 3G speed.

I think the troubles are in specific areas, not with specific phones.

7. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

Would explain why BOTH 3G's I've had have the problem. So, how can they fix that with a software upgrade?

8. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

2% is high numbers considering the amount of people that bought the iphone3g

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Two white 3G phones here, no problems at all. I bought each one 30 days apart and have no crashes, lag, light leaks or dropped calls.

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

From what I've read, the problem involves tolerance settings in the software that control the switching of 3G and EDGE. By tweaking those settings, they change the behavior of the phone in the trouble areas.

11. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

No issues here...but i heard there is a 2.0.2 update comming in the next few mins...

Its a rumor....

12. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

13. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

I actually just plugged in to see if it's here yet. ;)

14. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

15. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

Aw hell, goin' for it. Downloading now. I'll be sure to report crashes!

248.7 mb.

16. nfrankli macrumors newbie

2%?

A couple of scenarios come to mind on what the 2% means:
    1. ATT probably keeps stats on how many calls are dropped, and I'm sure the iPhone has ruined their claim that their network has the fewest dropped calls. Their stats might show that 2% of users have had dropped calls with the 3G iphone, I tend to think it is higher but maybe that's just biased by my own experience in the iphone intensive SF bay area.

2. It could be the number of people who have actually called Apple/ATT to complain about dropped calls. If that's the case the number of users who have problems but don't bother to call and complain is MUCH higher. (myself included)

3. It could also be that there is a manufacturing/part defect in some of the phones that is causing the problem. They know how many iphones had the defect and that equals 2%.

Overall its an annoyance to me, but I'll probably stick w/ the iphone because it is a pretty incredible phone. I did switch from verizon for the iphone and I've had more dropped calls in 3 weeks on ATT than I had in the past 3yrs w/ Verizon. Hopefully ATT/Apple will figure something out.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

In the supposed reply from Apple...

It didn't say it was 2% of any particular problem.

It said "some bugs which affect around 2%".

(Now that I think about it, what company would write "bugs" anyway?)

18. wolfwill23 thread starter macrumors member

Made 1 call and listened to 1 voice mail and no droppage. Was static though, so I'll wait for a call when I'm driving to really see.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Right, so we don't know if 2% of the phones are bad OR if 100% of the phones have the problem but only 2% of the users notice or run into the problem.

IF it's that second choice, you can bet that those 2% are mostly people like us. People who push things to the limit and analyze their phones constantly.

Thus, it COULD be 2% of users but 90% of MacRumors readers.

20. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I use my iPhone 3G on O2 (UK). I was in London last week and my phone kept on dropping calls, in the middle of calls. It seemed to have been when the phone was switching between 3G and the standard GSM protocols. I haven't had it happen to me anywhere else except London.

21. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

No problem with 3G reception or hand-off to edge either.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I took it a different way.

I think it meant they were fixing some bugs that 2% of the people have.

Nice, but meaningless, if there are some other bugs that affect far more people, which they conveniently didn't mention.

It's a mind game. They tell a truth, but not the whole truth. Works every time for Apple.

23. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I doubt that's true either, people with problems or perceived problems usually make their displeasure known at higher rates than those that are happy.

24. diabolic macrumors 68000

Every company does that. It's standard procedure and not really a surprise.