2 or 3 pushes for home button to work sometimes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by OnNightfall, Dec 15, 2010.

1. OnNightfall macrumors regular

This just started to happen recently. I have an iphone 4, had it for 6 months now and all of a sudden now, sometimes*** not all the time, it takes 2 or 3 pushes for the home button to take me back home. Once it finally does I don't have a problem for another while. Has anyone had this issue? and if so how did you get it fixed? is it software? is it hardware? Thanks.

2. dizzle23x macrumors newbie

i had the same thing happen to me. i took it into the apple store and they gave me a new phone

3. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

How did you prove the issue cause I can't create the issue on command.

4. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Yeah it happens to me too, get over it. One or two clicks isn't going to hurt anyone.

5. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, If I spent $200 + tax on something with a 2 year contract, I better get a device that works the way it was intended too. I would recommend you get a replacement phone and not settle for a corrupt device.

6. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Some people are too ****ing picky. Just enjoy your damn device. I've found that if you try and hit in the CENTER of the home button it only takes one try. Why don't you give that a shot and see if it works.

7. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I have the same issue.

I have tried the center thing with the button.

The reality is that it takes 3 to 5 presses some days and works fine others.

That is a problem. For example, when tring to make a call with favorites without looking at the phone - and yes, I should not be trying to initiate a call while driving, but we all know it happens.

While I rarely nitpick a product for perfection, an intermittent button is a sign of bad things. Replacement early in the products life is easier than 4 days before the warranty expires. So I think it is valid to bring the phone to Apple to examine.

In some cases I am sure it is grime clogging up the button. I have seen that and fixed a few people's phones myself with an alcohol swab. But for some, the button is faulty.

8. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

I had the same problem. Took it to Apple and got it replaced for one with a yellow screen. It took a few more visits before I got a phone that worked as well as the first, so if this doesn't bug you that much, I'd say hold on to it, but if it does, then go get another one. Good Luck! :)

9. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

Damn, that's horrible, an iphone with 1 problem for an iphone with another problem. I would be soo pissed.

10. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I dealing with the same problem but after what i hear ill keep my phone. I dont need a phone with a yellow screen.

11. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

That's funny because my button is starting to act up again. I got the phone replaced a couple of weeks ago for the same problem. I usually awake my phone through the sleep/awake button on top. I don't use the home button an extra then normal.....

What sucks is that I put money in front and back screen protectors considering this phone worked perfectly in the beginning stages. If I have to replace it, I am going to be :mad:

Makes me want to go blackberry:)

12. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

Yeah I wasn't a happy camper, and the one with a yellow screen was a refurb with a 5k code. Got that one replaced for one that barely worked and was also a refurb. Same 5k code but also someone else's information on it. The last exchange is just as good as the first and I believe to be a nonrefurbished phone because of the serial number. The only trouble with this one is a little battery issue, but I figure since we're close to the 5, mind as well just wait and see what the future brings. I don't want to try to replace it again for the yellow screen. That would really get to me.

Oh yeah, I think last week or so I made a post asking about a crackling noise when listening to music. I found out this was static electricity. Figured it out when I took my head phones off and noticed the earbuds must be magnetized since they attracted a few staples from the desk.

13. mallom macrumors regular

I'm not picky and I can relate to this problem.
    My home button doesn't work some times. It takes 2 - 3 clicks to work.

14. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. It started when I updated to 4.1. Weird. Sometimes it does get a little annoying but I'm not going to get it replaced because of it unless it stops working altogether.

15. longstech macrumors newbie

Same thing.....

It is a ribbon cable that has come loose from the mb to the home button. Go in and get it replaced!

16. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

This is my theory...

This has always been a problem with all iPhone's but before it was rare because we didn't have the multitasking so their was no need press the home button as much. Now with multitasking on the iPhone 3GS's and iphone 4's, this problem is starting to come out ten fold.

17. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

so this happens when you close apps?
    are you sure the button is actually physically not working? might it not be the application taking that extra second to save its state before closing?

18. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

im also in the same boat and its quite annoying, but im not about to take it in and risk getting some refurb with another issue.

19. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I don't understand the logic behind this at all. The same way you you risk getting another defective device.....its the same way you risk getting a device with no problems what so ever. Why sit with a phone that has a defect lol? Seriously, it makes no sense.

20. OnNightfall thread starter macrumors regular

You prove a great point, it's a 50/50 and you should inspect the new phone well before you leave the store.

21. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

If you can. I remember reading posts from other members talking about how the genuis wouldn't let them inspect the phone unless they agreed to take it. Luckily, the genuises at the nearby apple store are pretty relaxed and don't mind going the extra mile as long as you're calm and not screaming at them.

22. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

If i get a device that has addressed that issue...great, and if it has no other issues, even better.I understand it goes both ways, but this home button issue is one i can live with. Ive read too many experiences of people returning phone after phone and im not about to head down that path.